What do you do with your extra eggs?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Cetawin, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I know that some of us have small households and larger flocks [​IMG] while others have a huge flocks and sell eggs.

I take my extras to local churches weekly. If you speak to the pastor's, priests etc etc, you will find that many have shut-ins and needy families that they are assisting. The eggs are a tremendous help to the churches.

I just delivered 4 flats (5 dozen eggs) to two churches this morning.

So, rather than toss eggs out, what do you do with the extras?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have 36 chickens. I sell the extras. It seems like as soon as I run out of room in the fridge the orders start comin in. Ken LOVES egg salad too.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I press them through a sieve, add 1/2 tsp teaspoon of salt per1 cup of eggs, and freeze in ice cube trays.

I got a dozen cubes with 7 duck eggs!

One cube per egg in recipes.

4. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Sell 'em!

The nasty, rotten, broody duds go to the pigs. It is funny to see/hear them explode in the pig's mouths, they love it!

5. ...what do you do with the extras?

Hi! I boil them and feed them back to the birds.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa​

6. Angelbear

Angelbear Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    West Midlands, England
    Well my girls have yet to start laying, but i intend to give the extras away.

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I sent 5 dozen to the food pantry this morning. I grew up in a house that didn't have enough food to go around. I donate because I know how cruddy it is to go without.

8. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    When I had a lot more chickens than the 5 I currently have now I took flats of eggs to the soup kitchen fairly regularly. One of the ladies that ran it was so happy she made me a dream catcher [​IMG]

Now that I only have a few girls I still get extra eggs and I usually give them away to friends. My plumber got a dozen yesterday cos he solved a problem that half a dozen previous plumbers and several thousand dollars had not solved over a 3 year period.

Yeah... I was happy enough to give him more than eggs but I restrained myself..... barely [​IMG]

9. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Hatch those I want.

Eat the freshest, I don't want to hatch.

Boil the rest and give them to the dogs and birds. One day I'll be able to toss them to the hogs, but alas, no hogs for me for a couple of years. [​IMG]

10. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hey, Terrie....how long do the ice cube eggs last?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by