What do you do with your infertile incubated eggs??

cluckcluck42

Songster
10 Years
Oct 4, 2009
Quebec
I just pulled almost two dozen infertile or early quitters out of the incubator. They are about one week from hatch day. I've never been one to reuse the incubated eggs but have read that some people feed them to their dogs. Two dozen is a lot to just waste so I'm thinking I want to use them.

Just wondering how many people do this? I was thinking of boiling them up and splitting them between the chickens and the dogs but is there a possibility of them getting sick from them? Should I just feed it to the dogs, who have stomachs of steel?

I've always worried that any bacteria they might contain would have grown enough in the heat of the incubator to sicken my animals. I'm probably just a worry wart, but ...

I dont see the harm in boiling them and feeding them to the animals? As long as none of them are rotten....

HONESTLY, I would probably even venture to feed them to my dogs raw.... but we feed raw meat all the time, some people arent in to that sort of thing.

Early quitters...like BEFORE a chick formed? Not sure how I'd feel about hearing the dogs chomping on baby chicken bones...
sickbyc.gif

I dont blame you for wanting to use them! 24 eggs is Definitely a lot of eggs to waste.

Mine go into the compost bin.
I don't feed anything I wouldn't feel comfortable eating myself.
But thats just me.
I've too much invested to risk introducing disease or costly illness so Im kinda picky on stuff.
As to the safety if you boil them, look up balut eggs.
You still pretty much kill anything with boiling, I'm just weird that I wont do it.

Last edited:
I worry about bacteria and making my dogs sick... so any infertile or early quitters get thrown away. My dogs are house dogs and I don't want to take any chances of them having an upset stomach and me not being around to let them out. Not cool.

THough, I have no problem feeding them chicken eggs raw that haven't been in the incubator.

Oh yes VERY early quitters. Blood rings and tiny little black spots. No chicks in there. Blech!! Just imagining it gives me the heeby jeebies. Mostly infertiles though. They were all pullet eggs so I'm wondering if maybe there is some truth in pullet eggs being less fertile. I had read that somewhere and now I would have to agree.

I just hate to waste all those eggs. None smell or anything, I've never had a smelly egg actually *knock on wood*

Thanks for your input!

I'd be concerned about possible bacteria contamination in the quitters. Blood rings are caused by bacteria inside the egg. Boiling can possibly kill the bacteria, but can't do anything to toxins produced by the bacteria while they were inhabiting the quitter egg. That is why there is a difference in some diseases. Salmonellosis is when you are infected with the bacteria, salmonella poisoning is when you consume the toxin produced by salmonella. Not saying there is salmonella in the eggs, but that is my example highlighting that some bacteria produce toxin that isn't removed/denatured by boiling.

I pulled 4 developed but unhatched eggs out of my incubator last week and set them aside for disposal. 30 minutes later and I came back to find only 3. And 2 bad dogs eyeballing the other 3
sickbyc.gif
. Never did find egg, shell or anything. And no one got sick.

The thing with my dogs are that they eat the absolute grossest things when I am not watching them. Everytime we are on a walk you can hear me yelling GET THAT OUT OF YOUR MOUTH OMG!!! I can't imagine these eggs making them sick. I will pass on giving them to the chickens though, that is what I am worried about mostly.

Back
Top Bottom