What do you dog people think about a rottweiler/lab mix as a chicken/farm dog?

Sometimes you just have to try the individual dog with chickens because it can be hard to predict. In July I adopted a Lab/Border Collie mix from a local rescue, who allowed me a trial period to make sure she was going to work out. Since a lab is a bird dog, I didn't know which way it would go, so I arranged for the rescue to bring her to our house and we went directly to the backyard to see how she would react to the birds free-ranging there. Now keep in mind that the chickens, upon the appearance of a dog they'd never seen before, started squawking and running in all different directions and kicking up a fuss. The then 8-mo-old Lab X kind of looked at them with a quizzical look on her face, like "huh - wonder what that's all about", and then turned her back to go and check on an interesting smell. Fast forward 6 months and she has never shown any more interest in them than that first day. They of course have calmed way down now, and wander around her quite trustingly. (The dog is completely OCD when it comes to balls, and when we throw the ball for her in the backyard we have to be careful where we throw it because she's likely to bowl a chicken over in her attempts to catch a ball in the air if we're not careful, but that is the only way I can imagine her possibly harming one.)

I have found that my Labs were not very effective because they were not interested in guarding much of anything. Running after joggers, sure. Noticing that a fox slipped in behind them and took a chicken, nope.

I understand that Rotties are pretty protect hence, I they that could work well for protecting the chickens. The hard part might be training the Rotties for chicken guard duty. I know of one person that is having a heck of a time training a Rottie to not eat the birds but, this might just be that dog.

I believe that the BYC member "redeyerotties (sp?)" may have experience with Rotties and chicken training. I would PM them.

Once you have a good watch dog, I think it all comes down to the trainability of the dog. I would test the individual dog to see how submissive they are to you and how well they take your direction.

Jim

Our lab has gotten and killed 2 of our chickens.....it also attempts to get at them anytime one gets out.

I have a pyranese/antolian shepard cross and she is ideal. She doesnt have the very wooly coat like the pyranese.Easier to get the briars out of her. She guards my little pigmy goats and watches over the chickens and guineas too. A opposum was around one night and could have caused great harm to the chickens, She placed it in the driveway and watched over it ,so it wouldnt move until we came out and took it off.

i cant see why not !

my pet dog is a lab staff mix and he used to be a fighting dog before being rescued ( he still has problems with other dogs)

he took to the chickens from day one and loves them and fears them at the same time!
not had a problemyet ( fingers crossed too)

Well there are breeds I would stay away from just by guidlines, but I know any dog can do this, regardless of breed. Its the individual temperament. I have two pits and a boxer, of which all three haven't killed a chicken yet. They don't guard them, only watch and hang out with them on occasion. One will kill a critter or two if given the opportunity too, (squirrels, cats, etc) but is doing great with the girls we raised from peeps last year, and our resident cat. I do training for a living and these dogs don't get an ounce of unsupervised training around these birds so maybe thats where we are making such great progress. Just b/c mine are ok, doesn't mean the pit bull from the shelter will be. The odds are against that. I would prefer a puppy, or a well evaluated older dog. Boundary train, as well as avoid conflict. Hire a good trainer. I would expect my beagle to befriend my rabbit.

I would avoid terriers, hounds, huskies, GSDs, and hunting breeds. Individuals of any of these can and will make an exception, this is only a guidline based on breed standards. I would stick with guardian dogs, farm breeds, companion dogs, and definately a large breed. A good old mutt, trained the right way will do just fine! Just prevent/manage/train and you'll have a well rounded dog. Don't forget your birds too. Most dogs will only stand so many peckings. If you're birds are naughty or aggressive you may be tempting fate! I see no reason a lab/rotti cant do the job you ask if trained properly and not set up to fail. Don't expect immediate results either, especially if you are getting a puppy. Even a pyr puppy will shake a bird if it looks like a toy!

Good luck!

Depends on the dog and owner! I've seen the worst of dogs change with some patients and work! My buddy's chicken killer has become chicken protector, with her patients and a lot of training. She wasn't willing to give up on the dog or having chickens.

Back
Top Bottom