what do you feed geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by PotterWatch, Oct 11, 2010.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What do you feed geese? I have a friend who has a couple geese and she has been feeding them chicken lay mash. She imagines that there must be another type of feed. What could I tell her to get? Can she get goose food at a feed store?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    We feed our geese and ducks flock raiser.(i think thats the name of it..)..we get it from TSC... i think its from Purina??
    But anyways.. it says it can be feed for chickens and ducks and geese..

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    We feed all our bird flock raiser,plus they are free range.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I mix flock raiser or layer crumbles with scratch. Can't always get to TSC for the flock raiser. What I want to know is- what about winter time? Right now all my birds are free-ranging, but the grass is about dead for the winter. There won't be any greens for them to graze on so.....?

I grow and buy turnip greens for the birds, but with the appetite the geese have i'll be broke in no time. Someone suggested "all stock", but I know the chickens will get into it and I don't want anyone to get deficient.

5. We feed ours just chicken pellets [​IMG]

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I thought that Flock Raiser was intended for young poultry up to 20 weeks of age. I give my ducks & geese layer pellets once they're grown. They do forage in the yard for much of their sustenance, but always like to have some pellets first thing in the morning and right before bed. That's a good question about getting greenstuff to geese in the winter (here in South Fla I never thought about that). I don't know what other folks do, maybe you could grow grass from seed in shallow trays and set some out every day or two for the geese to graze upon.

7. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    Aside from the plants in the pond and grass in the yard, my geese get chicken layer pellets, scratch and lettuce that the local produce market saves for me. They are also frequently seen cleaning up after the wild birds at the feeder.

8. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    We feed ours chicken pellets! [​IMG]

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks for the help! She was thinking that the extra calcium and whatnot in the lay mash wouldn't be good for her gander. Is that something she should be concerned about?

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Now that my ducks have started to lay... I'm going to mix the flock raiser with the chicken layer pellets... so they get a bit more calcium...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by