What do you feed just hatched ducklings?

Quote:
That may work okay for some ducklings, but it does not contain the optimal niacin. Some ducklings will develop niacin deficiency symptoms on this feed if it is not supplemented. Some will not. This is exactly what I was feeding when I tried my unfortunate experiment in NOT supplementing, and ended up with shaky legged ducklings. They recovered quickly when I added the niacin. Now, I always supplement (actually, I now just mix the feed 50/50 with game bird starter, which is easier for me and has the same effect).

Anyway, the point is that just because it says it's for ducklings doesn't mean it's a complete and optimal feed for ducklings.

Quote:
Unfortunately, it's difficult to find feed truly formulated for ducks. Purina Flock Raiser is the best that's commonly available, and TSC doesn't carry it. Furthermore, I've heard reports that it doesn't always work great either. It really is a pain!
smile.png

I wasn't trying to criticize you, and I'm sorry if I came off that way. I don't always come off sounding the way I mean to, and I hope you won't hold it against me.
big_smile.png
There are many people on these boards who feed without supplementing niacin and have excellent results. It just hasn't been my experience.

Great advice iamcuriouscat. Also everyone should be aware that just cause your feed store carries something dont mean the other person can get what you can. Thats why I liked the options. If you can get it I recommend the Mazuri waterfowl starter first if you can get it. (Its what zoos use also.)Then all what cat said. If you were in a tight like barefoot mom and want to go dirt cheap you can even use chicken layer pellets and mix in some hard boiled yolks( about 1 pr pound) Just remember they are only ducklings ONCE and need certain elements in their diet. Lots of good choices out there and to fit budgets.

Mine are getting the flock raiser, though the woman at the farm store told us that the medicated chick feed is actually fine for ducklings. She said it used to be true that it was bad for them, but they have since changed the medication and now it's okay. I chose to use the flock raiser anyway but figured I'd mention it.

well, I've decided to feed mine unmedicated chick starter but, will add brewers yeast.

now the question is: How much yeast do I add to their feed dish?
How often do I give it?
How long do I give it for?

and should I be giving grit to new ducklings?

that I've noticed, no one at the feed stores has suggested anything else. so that tells me either they don't have anything else, or they don't know ducks.

Quote:
You should start feeding your ducklings grit once they start eating any food other than formulated crumbles/pellets.

If they are free range ducklings, they can probably find grit on their own and do not need to be supplemented directly (you can always set a shallow dish of it out if you are concerned, when they are free range they'll only take what they need).

I just started my goslings on grit, they are six and seven days old. You don't need a measured amount, just sprinkle a very light dusting of it over their "green food" when you feed it.

Back
Top Bottom