What do you feed laying runners?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenlittle1980, Jul 9, 2010.

1. chickenlittle1980

chickenlittle1980 Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    As I watched the ducks playing in the pool .... wondering who is who....(must be all girls cause it gets really loud at times or I just cant hear the boys) What should I feed them... and when should i start..... right now they eat flock raiser. The last ducks I had just ate watever the chickens ate...(back before I knew better that ducks should not eat chicken scatch)

2. CityChicker

CityChicker Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    We feed ours Layena mixed about half and half with a mix of grains to which we add fish meal, alfalfa meal, a vitamin/mineral, kelp, and some other things. We sometimes give them some Flock Raiser too. Last year, for much of the off season, we gave them Flock Raiser mixed with about 25% oats (same thing we give our juvenile birds). It all just depends on what your goals are. They do fine even on just Layena and of course, some amount of fresh greens if possible.

3. bock

bock Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I feed mine Layena. [​IMG]

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am feeding grower/maintenance ration, plus greens, they forage for bugs and slugs some (I bring them a bunch [​IMG] ), a small handful of cat kibble, peas for treats, with free choice oyster shell available all day. So far so good. Since 6/26 some of the eleven have laid 30 eggs. They are just getting started. A couple of eggs (not included in the 30) were laid in the afternoon, without shells. But the rest have been laid early morning (before 5:30) and the shells have been just fine.

Only one egg was very small, and had no yolk. The rest have been no less than 40 grams, and after they have laid a couple the eggs come out closer to 60 grams.

Their feathers look good, they are acting happy. The heat has been a concern this week, but we are managing, with shade cloth, changes of water, and as little excitement as possible.

5. chickenlittle1980

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    I hear Layena is good......but when should I start them?

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    well, how old are they? Have they started hopping on top of each other? Any milky vent discharge yet?

Ideally, about a month before they lay is when they need to start with extra calcium (such as found in layer feed). I was able to guess, based on behavior, when they were about a month away from laying, and I think I did not miss by much. Too much calcium too soon is hard on their systems, though they may not show it right away.

7. chickenlittle1980

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    None of that but it sounds like I had better get out there and work on the duck house the feed store said they where born may 5 and i dont see any drake tails yet..... I am almost sure i have 4 out of the 10 but i could be wrong!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by