What do you feed them?

C&Rman

Songster
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Nevada
I have read on post that you feed them a certain % of game bird feed. What is the best to feed them? Also what is the price rangne?

Game bird feed or cat food for protein..Mine get cracked corn, milo, and horse sweet feed from the local elevator..it has oats, molasses, whole corn, wheat..in it they love it..and then we have an alfalfa field next door so they get that fresh on a daily basis...mine are fat and healthy...so they also get a variety of food, so they can pick what they want... Good luck
wink.png

Oh yeah and they are with my chickens, so they get grit also... edit

Last edited:
I knew you could feed them cat food. But I wouldn't want to feed them it on a dailiy basis. How much percentage is in the food you feed them?
I will give them alfa hay. We have horses.

ours love black oil sun flower seeds for a treat but we mix layermash with gamebird feed.the game bird feed is not much more then chicken feed 50lb bag is like 14-16$ but peacock dont eat much compared to turkeys or other big birds.

I feed mine layer crumbles (21% protein) mixed with gamebird mix. I add a handful of shelled fruit and nut mix and whole corn (they seem to like the whole corn better than cracked corn). I also wet dry catfood from time to time and also treat them to a full array of fruits and veggies! They love raisins and watermelon!

We're feeding ours a gamebird chow and it's I think 15% protein and then some cat food mixed in (I don't have it in front of me, but it's high in protein, like 30% or something). We usually either give them a small bowl of it or toss a bowl of it into their feed bucket. It doesn't matter because either way they pick out all those pieces to eat first.

I give mine whatever they seem most interested in. Their base feed is a 30% gamebird food, but they don't eat much of that since they're always out of the pen. They love bread in the evenings, cat food, and BOSS just about anytime. I also found out they LOVE cooked chicken, I was grilling chicken, gave a small piece to my peahen and she was literally JUMPING in the air for more! Now whenever I have chicken, not cold, but like right after its cooked, I give them pieces, they go crazy for it. Who would have thunk? Just keep it varied, that's the best rule of thumb I believe.

Quote:
Oh hopefully you don't keep them with your chickens or they can have chicken when ever they want LOL.
I give my chickens anything really. Left overs from dinner, and they act just like pigs and scarf it up. Could I do that with peacocks?

I keep flock raiser out there at all times, then whatever I cook for breakfast, lunch dinner I take out also. Scrambled eggs, oatmeal, Pancakes, grit, salad, sausage gravy ohhhh that is by far their favorite, eheheh..lots of different fruit, they seem to love grapes, I give a bowl of cat food twice a week,

Dinner they get left overs..now I haven't a clue if iam doing a thing right..but it's what I do..and then the chickens eat heat they get and they eat what the chickens get..they pick and choose. Now that I have 4 peas..some like some things I give and some don't, it's like they don't all like the same thing..for instance 2/4 like watermelon..but they all like grapes..one likes apples the others don't.

And chicken they love cooked chicken...love it, I made the other night chicken frichase...for dinner took a bowl out of it to them.,and all four were in heaven

But I always have flock raiser out there with them, isn't that game bird feed?, it's what the breeder told me to get for them

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom