What do you feed to Baby ducks?

Quote:
I realize that the meds they used to use were harmful to ducks. I guess by urban legend I meant that it's something that even tho once true, it no longer is.

Amprol is more of a preventative than a medication. It helps the chicks and ducklings develop an "immunity" to whatever kind of coccidia is in the soil where they are being raised without their system being overwhelmed by it.

I don't use meds either.....have never used any antibiotics in my flock in all the years I've had them.

A question. I did a fast look on the site and couldn't find any mention of cocci or vaccination for cocci, but lots of good info on biosecurity.~gd

No. They told me that small flocks do not require any shots. YES, they discuss biosecurity for all diseases, not cocci-specific. They have very different directions between commercial duck facilities and back yard flocks.

I know when I was an adoption manager at a 600 plus animal facility, we practiced much more conservative disease control that would be advocated for a small home kennel.

There are also a few other sites that specifically mention the rare occurance of cocci in ducks, but I didn't keep their addresses handy. I was concerned because someone thought my ducks and geese had cocci because they had orange in their feces. But, she also said it was cocci because it was watery. She considered herself an "expert" and I was in a panic. But, after consulting poop charts, I saw that the colors of my duck and goose feces all appeared in the normal range. Then, I decided to do my own research. Hence, this result.

I also talked to the New York State veterinarian in charge of the NPIP program and asked and he seemed to agree that ducks are often misdiagnosed as having cocci because of their normal range of poop colors (he didn't say poop).

The one thing I discovered is that all of these vets have told me to avoid medicating my geese and ducks for cocci unless it is confirmed that they have it because the treatment is so hard on their systems. All of the people here on Long Island I have met with chickens and ducks seem to just think that a routine treatment for cocci is a good idea and if their birds are thin, then worm them. I'm just not excited about throwing medicine at unconfirmed illnesses, especially antibiotics. I could be wrong, but I've been around all sorts of animals and have spent WAY too much time around veterinarians, but that's my gut reaction.

Not saying I am correct, but just offering the results of my research. I'm always open to other points and authorities.

Coccidiosis is one of the most flock-devastating protozoan parasitic diseases. I quote this off one of the links because it seems to me that you seem to be confusing cocci with worms and/or bacteria. "because the treatment is so hard on their systems" quote from your post. How hard on the system could it be when many starter feed manufacturers include a ccoccstat?
Yes treatment on birds already infected with cocci is hard because the cocci are destroying the guts of the bird. It needs to be prevented not treated.
It makes no sense for me to debate with you. See my signure it pretty much says all I have to say on the subject.

Goosedragon:

NO, I was discussing the actual drug treatment for cocci while you are discussing what is a preventive for some forms of cocci, Amprolium, which is NOT effective against the main strain of cocci that does effect ducks when they do contract the disease to the point of requiring treatment. (Mostly very young ducks.) I said TREATING for cocci, not preventing cocci.

NO, I am not confusing cocci with worms. And NO I don't want to continue arguing with you. If you want to continue TROLLING with people, do it with someone else. I don't want to get into trouble for continuing an argument back and forth. It makes people uncomfortable. And I just hate to perpetuate this type of exchange.

You can be the grand Poo Pah on all things goose and duck. I am not trying to take your title or thunder, honestly. I was just trying to share some information about a subject on which I have done a lot of research lately.

I'm out of this thread......sorry to everyone for this unpleasantness.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom