What do you feed your birds used for breeding?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DFCottage, May 18, 2011.

1. DFCottage

DFCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    This is a transitional year for me: I'm raising up chicks of the breeds I've really wanted to concentrate on for years, slowly filtering out my mixed layers, and hope to be raising up some really nice birds to work on type and quality. I've got a lot invested in this program so far and I want to do the best I can, so I'm curious: what is your preference for feeding your breeders? I noticed Blue Seal now carries a feed specifically for breeding birds, but do you feed a regular layer crumble pellet? Get a custom mixed feed? Add supplements?

Thanks for any input!

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks OP for asking this! I have meant to--I do think breeders can benefit from an increased plane of nutrition, just haven't been able to find the specifics. [​IMG]

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  4. chikincrazee

chikincrazee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    IL
    Hi I breed silkies/nankins and ameraucanas and have found the best hatchability with a mix of 50 pounds of 16% layer crumbles with 50 pounds of Kent Poultry Home Fresh which is 27%...it gives me 21.5% in protein...also make sure you have some type of animal protein ..Kent has fish meal and the US layer has porcine....I also add wheat germ oil, red cell and a little kelp. The birds also get some scratch I mix and hand feed to them...rolled oats/rolled barley/milo/wheat and calf manna and when i can get them sunflower chips..girls also get free choice oyster shell and grit.

5. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Kent multiflock mini pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by