What do you feed your breeding poultry?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by txcarl1258, Mar 19, 2015.

1. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Currently I have a breeding flock of BBS ameraucana and muscovy ducks. Currently I am feeding the ducks Purina flock raiser and my ameraucana Purina Laying pellets. I have read that the laying pellets can be bad for the roosters due to the calcium levels. I was thinking of switching all the chickens to flock raiser. Any thoughts? Anyone have a different feeding regiment. Is the 20% too high for them?

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Are you ---
    Breeding just to hatch a few extra chicks around, Breeding to sell chicks/ birds or Breeding for future show birds?

If your breeding just for a few extra chicks then the Flock Raiser would be ok but if you breeding to sell chicks/birds or breeding show stock you would do better on a breeder type feed. A breeder type feed is 18 to 20 percent protein but it is lower in calcium than a layer feed and has the added vitamins and minerals needed for maximum hatch rate.

Most of the year I feed my adult birds a 20% low calcium feed but when I put the breeding pens together I switch the breeders to a 20% breeder feed and limit there treats to 10% of there diet. I also limit the types treats they get, for the most part the treat/s they get is a mixture of 18% pigeon grain (as there scratch) and Bil-Jac Frozen dog food.

3. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Would it hurt to feed a gamebird breeder feed with higher protein to breeding pens of chickens?
    What about feeding gamebird or turkey starter to baby chicks?
    How high a protein percent is too high for chickens?

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Game bird feed is fine for chickens, its what I feed.
    Game bird chick starter is also fine,
    I feed a 30% protein starter for about 4 to 6 weeks then switch to a 20% starter.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I've had my flock of 16 on 22% multi-flock for the past 5 weeks. While collecting hatching eggs, I've been adding 1/2 of a regular human multivitamin to their morning ration of FF every day. Yes, it's unortohodox, but then again, so am I. Will be doing an informal study on viability with this regimen. Also, doing a small study to lay to rest or proove the old wive's tale regarding egg shape being an indicator of chick gender. planning to sort and set eggs today or tomorrow.

6. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I do not show at the moment. I do breed and sell hatching eggs. I purchased all of my birds from show quality breeders. My eventual goal is to show, but I cannot at the moment. Thank you for your advice. Can you recommend a good brand of breeder ration?

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    You could go with either Purina Wildlife Game Bird,
    Mazuri Game Bird Breeder which is a step up from the Purina or Buckeye Layer/Breeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by