What do you feed your chickens + cost

That's pretty much what Layena costs around here.

I don't give my flock laying feed, because I have so many different ages of chickens. I feed grower/finisher feed and keep crushed oyster shell out for them free choice. The laying pullets and hens (and duck) that needs it will take it as necessary.

And last 50# bag cost me $14.25. Maybe $14.45.

I really wish I knew of a cheaper way to feed them. They eat like pigs not chickens. I let them out and they still eat a lot of feed. I only have 10 chickens. I love having them around but the cost....I do sell some of the eggs but only about a dozen a week. They eat a lot more than what I make. Course two are roos and 4 are pullets. I only have 4 hens at the moment. Maybe when the 4 pullets start laying in 3 months it will be a little better.

I am paying .44 per pound for a custom mixed organic starter from S&S Grains in Arcadia, WI. Seems reasonable to me given what my other options are. The layer is .41 per pound.

I have to get a few different types of feed each month.

Layena crumbles....8.90-9.50/ 50 lb bag

Sarter 11.00/ 50 lb bag

poultry finisher 12.00 / 50 lb bag

and usually a 50 lb bag of scratcg grain for 8.95

i make my own feed which cost 50 cents per pound. i want to start growing some sunflowers so i can use the seeds which will make the cost more like 40 cents per pound

I buy Nutrena layer pellets from the feed store for $11.25 for 50 lbs. that ends up being about 22.5 cents a pound. And it just went up from $10.50. I also buy scratch grains for about $8.95 and BOSS $16.50 (Both in 50lb sacks)

Missi

I am giving them mostly corn, wheat and bran. They are sold at roughly the same price. I pay ~ 12 cent per pound. I buy them in sacks of 110lb. I also gave in a few occasions pre-made food which costs ~16 cent per pound made out of soya, corn and wheat. I think wheat based food is better since its higher in nutrition. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom