What do you feed your chickens + cost

McGeary Organics layer pellets. Last time I bought a bag it was $21, and another $20 to ship it. GRRRRR.

If I could find organic food here in NYC I'd get it locally. I'm about to drive to PA and pick up three or four bags from McGeary this month.

B

19 Chickens Eat 50 Lbs. of Layena in a Month. They free range all day everyday. So they get most of their sustenance.

Organic Cascade Layer (soy & corn free) 50# @ 29.95

Custom mix of organic 3 grain scratch, + organic corn & boss mix @ ??? I'm not buying the corn any more since the girls don't really care for it.

Home grown wheat grass @ ??? I'm planning to go long term with this after seeing how much the girls like it so I'm sourcing some organic hard winter wheat for 42.00/50# from Vermont. Shipping ups it to 90 bucks, but is still cheaper than what I've seen so far for organic seeds. I need to find a local supplier.

Quote:
Two ideas:

Concentrates, Inc (north of Powell just east of the Ross Island Bridge on 8th): "Feed Wheat, Organic and local" price on the August 24 sheet was 50# for $14.00 but I suspect the price has gone up. It doesn't say whole but I'm betting it is.

I can't seem to get to their site right now but try Bob's Red Mill in Milwaukee (http://www.bobsredmill.com/) off of highway 224. I just can't imagine that his organic whole wheat berries would be almost $2.00 per pound!

Back
Top Bottom