What do you feed your chickens in?

We use a hanging feeder. We had to separate a feather picker for a while and I used a crock for food and she kicked it over all the time. You can buy inexpensive plastic hanging feeders or metal ones that are more expensive, but will last longer. You can try putting your dish up on bricks...maybe that would help.

Last edited:
My chicken are still young (13 weeks) but I have been using a quart Mason jar that screws into a round feed saver type feeder. I have found that elevating it has reduced the number of times per week it is knocked over to maybe three x per week where it used to be that many times in one day! I also have it in a corner of their cage so maybe that is helping as well????

hope this helps you out.

Now that my birds are out in the run I built a feeder for them. I used a 5gal. bucket sitting in a feed pan from TSC. I drilled 2inch holes all the way around and just set it in the pan. The feed will drop by gravity and it works great. I added a big pickle jar in the center to push the feed outwards. I have just raised it by setting it on a large brick. This is helping prevent bill out. I also found a huge aluminum bowl, i set curved side up over the whole thing. This keeps out rain and keeps them from standing on top and pooing in the feed. For water I just bought the same metal pan and a automatic waterer from TSC. I had to cut some 2x4's to make a mount but it is working great as well! I just leave the hose hooled up to the waterer and have a devider on the faucet. I have to get a pressure reducer but it is SOooo much easier now!!!

Good Luck and God Bless!

Last edited:
LOL
gig.gif

I have a round metal feeder about 15cm diametre with holes all around. I only have 3 chicks and they are 2.5 weeks old right now so it works great. They kick stuff into it and poop in it ALL THE TIME, but they don't seem to spill any and it's not able to be tipped over so the waste is small. I just make sure to take the pine shavings and poop out twice a day so they have easy access to their food. A dish was totally hellish! It was all over the place! They stepped on it and scratched all the food out!

I use a homemade PVC pipe feeder with a Y-fitting. The basic idea came from other BYC'ers designs that I found doing a search on "PVC feeder." Works beautifully. Almost no waste. Feeder stays in the coop 24/7. The girls get their treats in a huge stoneware bowl in the run. Greens are tossed on the ground to scratch around in. After bedcheck and lights out for the ladies, I rinse out the big bowl, rake out the uneaten stuff on the ground. There was almost no learning curve for the girls going to roost in the evenings when I first moved them to the run. I attribute that to the fact that their food was kept in the coop and they got plenty of practice going in and out when they wanted some crumbles.

This is PVC feeder - girls were 4 weeks old in this photo

53674_chickens3_013.jpg

This is set up in the run. White bucket is nipple waterer (also the best thing since sliced bread).

53674_dscn0473.jpg

Back
Top Bottom