What do you feed your chickens?

Wow! They must love you!! Lol. I will have to try some of those things. Never knew it wasn’t good to feed them cracked corn in the summer.
Cold watermelon slice on a hot day placed in a galvanized pan full of ice, any fruit, mine love peaches too, mealworms mixed in oatmeal when it’s really cold outside, and frozen corn kernels for a treat on a hot day. Mealworms are my training tool to get them in every night, all I have to do is shake the bag and walk towards the run and they follow me right in, never fails!

E7ABBEC4-6018-49C5-86BA-B08B8FE178AB.jpeg

My three girls can hoover up a banana in 2 seconds flat. Gave them a piece of watermelon for the first time this weekend - they were in heaven. Left over salad - gone.
But what they have really enjoyed was the pumpkin plants I was trying to grow :barnie
The plants didn't even get to flowering stage and they have disappeared.

What kinds of fruits and veggies do you feed your chickens? So far we’ve found they love green beans, strawberries and zucchini. What are other good things to feed them?
Everything we trim from vegetables, and all leftover food except onions and citrus. Even potato peelings (if boiling potatoes I then use the water to cook the peelings in).

Curly mustard, kale, cucumbers, melons, herbs, squash, pumpkins, cabbage. I also give them animal protein every day. Mealworms, black soldier fly larvae, cooked meat or fish, hard boiled eggs...

Chickens will eat most any kid of veggies, fruit and meat. Come fall I open the garden and let them clean up anything not harvested. In the winter they get a scratch grain mix. Also meat scraps--we had ribs on Friday and they got to pick those clean on Saturday; last night's BBQed chicken bones and skin go to them today. Saves a lot on flock raiser.

Back
Top Bottom