What do you feed your chickies??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lil'chickies, Mar 3, 2009.

1. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    I was just wondering what everone uses.

What do you recomend?
    What do you definitely not feed them?
    When do you switch to something else?

Might help some of us newbies plot our course a bit better!!

Me:

I have them on medicated Start and Grow, gave a clump of grass to entertain, yogurt to help after grass, and some very fine sand for grit sprinkled on feed. I'm also putting electrolytes in water.

Not sure when I will switch them to regular feed. I gave the grass to keep them from getting bored and picking so much. Worked like a charm! Planning on trying the cereal box with hay tomorrow. What are crumbles some folks mention?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I recommend a well balance chick starter ration, like Purina start n grow.

The only acceptable treat is hard boiled egg yolk or oatmeal. No other treats.

I switch to a layer/breeder ration when they approach point of lay or after I see the first egg.

Grass would be a concern for me and I would worry about impacted crops and diseases from wild birds being transmitted to your young chicks.

3. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    we have always fed chick starter/grower, used to feed Dumor, from tractor supply. but now we feed feed from the local co-op.

we feed grower/starter for the first 10-11 weeks, around 4-5 weeks the chicks start getting small treats, like crickets or little bits of table scraps. at 10-11 weeks we switch to grower finisher until point of lay, then they go on layer crumbles. it's worked quite well for us

4. mommathea

mommathea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    We have them on Dumor Chick starter/grower from Tractor supply.
    They occasionaly get yogurt, a few peices of bread crubs.
    A little bit of grit on their food.
    I will probably give them the end of a lettuce head soon, something to let them play with.

5. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I started giving mine treats at two weeks--grass, bugs, worms, etc...I figured if they were out running around with mama, this is the kind of thing they would find. It seems that there are many opinions about when they can get something besides starter crumbles, and everyone kind of has to make their own decisions and watch them carefully. They do get very excited about new things...and tastes change.

6. OldMORoo

OldMORoo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2009
    S. W. MO
    Mine are about 6 wks. old and I give them left over cerial that my GK's have left after last vist. Roll it out some what and put it though a sifter so the pieces aren't that big and add grit. They also love bread. But these are just for treats.
    Claude

7. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    Quote:You made me think about something (which is very rare:D)

If we didn't take care of these chicks domestically, what did they eat when all they had was just a mama hen who just sat on them, warmed them, and turned them occassionally? Would the hen bring bits back or regurgitate like other birds caring for young? Just an academic question....

8. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    We used to use Blue Seal when we had chickens before, but now I use Poulin Grains that are made in VT. I am in NH and have been feeding their grain to my horses with amazing results, so I chose the grain without antibiotics but that contains a moss that deters coccy. The organic brooder is fed Morrisons.
    I will continue with Poulin for crumbles and laying pellets.

My babes are just a week old so I have time before switching.

9. midwife mama

midwife mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    montana
    Quote:I am all ears too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by