What do you feed your ducks...

jamband

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
Ok so i know its important to watch excess protein when young.....I also read that most folks use chicken feed for their ducks.....2 questions on that....normal grower is somewhere around 19 % but I have read ducks should have about 14% until laying and then get layer.....but chicken layer?? thats about 17-18%

also Have read not to feed males any oyster shell but my layer rations have oyster shell already and I can't possibly feed the males and females apart.

Just curious what other people do. I do have access to some duck food...would just be inconvenient to have chicken and duck feed...esp during baby/ growing season

Quote:
I use Purina Flock raiser with 20 % protien, but when i have ducklings I cut it with oatmeal and also add Brewers yeast. I just put oyster shell out for my egg layers.

This is my very first year with ducks, so I asked here what to feed them and these guys here said layer feed. I eventully want to get them some real ducks food, but I dont want to until I have "ducktopia" built. Thats where I will have my drakes in one pen females in another, and a breeding pen, for breeding. Then I can give them their normal ration, right now they dont have a very good diet.

I dont know if this helps (probably doesnt because Im all over the place right now
lol.png
)

There are as many ways to feed as there are duck owners, and plenty of optimal diets and sub-optimal diets. But there are a few basic things that will work just fine for most people in most situations, with a minimum of fuss:

Ages newborn to 4 weeks: Chicken starter feed with a source of extra niacin (brewer's yeast, niacin tablets in water, or mixed 50/50 chicken and gamebird starter)
Ages 3 or 4 weeks to maturity: Gradually start adding a low-protein grain such as wheat or oats to the feed, a little at a time, until you are feeding approximately 1 part oats (or whatever) to three parts chicken starter. Continue offering extra niacin.
Mature ducks: Chicken layer feed for all adult ducks, or chicken maintenance with a side of oyster shell for those who choose.

If you are free ranging, the extra calcium etc. in the oyster shell won't do damage to your drakes. If they are in confinement 100% of the time, then you need to be a little more careful about their dietary balance.

Good luck!

I am not worried about mine really just curious. They dont actually eat much food right now since they are out all day eating bugs etc . One did develop slight angel wing before I let them outside and I think he was just eating to much feed and I should have supplemented. So no real issue with the drakes having the calcium in layer ration?

Miss lydia....with the ducklings how much oatmeal do you cut in? percentage wise and for how long?

thanks

Quote:
I buy 100 lbs. of FR at a time and buy my oatmeal at Sams Club but I'm sure you can buy it at the feed store, to 100 lbs. I add the 9lb. box of oatmeal and just mix it all together. I started mixing it in when his feathers started coming in and will continue till he's full grown. He's 3 months now. all my ducks chickens and goose eat this. Hope this helps. The brewers yeast I add on top of his peas that he gets in the house.

Back
Top Bottom