what do you feed your flock? the good and the bad

I got my chickens only a week ago, I'm feeding them "layers food" crakled corn to find in the run dirt & tried with sunflower seed but they are not familiar with it, so dont pay any attention to it...any way i'll try to see if they get to like them as they are a very healthy treat. Every morning I add any kitchen scraps i can, specially fresh veggies/fruits, bread and rice, lentils sprouts, pigeonpeas pods, leaves... I have some pics of their daily "salads" in my profile photos under "My Chikens Food" name : https://www.backyardchickens.com/ga...3234/user_id/115450#page=0&sort=display_order

We just switched back to large fowl and so my chicks are on organic chick starter.

However, I still have mixed in the garage my mix, waiting for them to get to the 8 week mark- the recipe is on my BYC page (see signature) if interested.
BOSS
Flax Seeds
Corn (organic cracked)
Rolled Barley
Wheat
Rolled Oats
Split Peas
Millet
Peanuts
kelp meal
grit and oyster shell

They get (when older) all kitchen scraps.
I also periodically buy organic layer feed or chick starter (org.) and mix it in for a treat.

Last edited:
ga my chickens a strawberry and some lettice they ate the strawberry only lol and didnt really know what to do with it

My layer flock gets a mix of four parts FRM layer crumbles to one part FRM gamebird starter that comes in at about 17% protein. Plus whatever pasture they can get from daily tractor moves. That's it. The yarded flock is the only one to get whatever kitchen scrap we may have plus a small morning feeding of whole corn. As soon as I get a second feeder shelter built I'll cut that corn way down.

Purina Flock Raiser (20%) is the base feed for our chickens, turkeys, and ducks. They forage for alfalfa leaves that fall from the rabbits' cages. For treats, they get scratch, BOSS, mealworms, redworms, endive, and green peas. Not too many fresh kitchen scraps, as I like to make stock out of them, but they get to pick through the stock pot afterwords.

Here in England it's illegal to feed chickens scraps from your own kitchen. Not many of us take any notice of that though.
What an odd law, and so hard to enforce. Sounds like some of the laws here in the states. I feed mine 1/2 Nutrena All Flock & 1/2 GameCock feed. If they had their way they'd be fed only the gamecock feed though, they love it.

Back
Top Bottom