What do you feed your free-range chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by akd23237, Jun 17, 2008.

1. akd23237

akd23237 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    My 3 chickens are free on on the front and backyard. I do give them scratch atleast once a day, but it seems like they're always begging me for more food. What should I do? Do you recommend I keep a feeder somewhere for them? Free-range chickens don't find enough food?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We keep layer feed in the coop for ours all the time. They still free range all day, eating vegetation, seeds, bugs and worms. That's just what we do.

3. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    My girls free range but I do keep a thing of food available for them also. They go through the food very slowly. They prefer chasing the bugs and eating the plants. The last time I saw them actually eat their mash was when it was pouring rain and they didn't want to go outside (over a week ago). I also provide a bowl of grit just incase they want it. They should get that from the range anyhow.

4. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Free choice layer crumbles. they are in and out of the barn all day--it is true that they go through less food in the summer, but they still need it.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Yep - as the others said I keep a feeder full inside the coop - so they can go help themselves when they get hungry.

Mine also get sunflower seeds, mixed with a few other seeds, fruit and any suitable leftovers from the kitchen - they get a cup full of that in the moring and one in the late afternoon...... now and again in the middle of the day they'll get apple peels or something like that as well.

Edit to add: In winter mine get a cup of scratch instead of the sunflower seed mix.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  6. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:I do the same, and I agree, they do need it.

7. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I keep egg maker crumbles out for mine. They don't eat very much of it during the summer.
    Instead of giving yours scratch, get them some egg layer or egg maker crumbles, if you have hens. Scratch is more of a treat.
    Mine also "supplement" what they can steal from the pot bellied pigs and goats. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by