what do you feed your keets

depends what is close to you and going processed or organic we are in western kentucky. rural king has meatbird crumbles, later we use hubbard feed pellets. hubbard is out of minn i think. we get it locally. southern states has some too but that is farther from us.
have a great time. our email [email protected]

Quote:
roll.png
and
duc.gif

Try a game bird feed with around 24% protein. If you can not find that Truckers Supply has a started feed with 24% protein and it is not medicated. Feed it for the first 12 weeks and then switch to a 21% protein feed. If your birds are going to free range you can probably use a lower protein chicken feed, at least in the spring, summer and fall after 12 weeks old. Good luck. How about some pics.

Quote:
They "did" have the Whole Line of GameBird Feed at the feed store (Starter, Grower, and Finisher) BUT they wanted to save money so they discontinued that feed and switched to Purina.
I even asked if I could special order it but they said "NO!"
idunno.gif

They change feed/feed companys every couple years for some reason.
hmm.png

Startina is gamebird and it is Purena. and its 30 percent protien that's what I used. Though toward the end of summer My feed store doesn't order it unless you request it because most people who use it are done raising game birds by now. The other feed stores I use in San Diego stop ordering it about the end of July beginning of August.

In a pinch you can supplement with scrambled eggs. Scrambled dry and mix with the starter feed you have. But I like the simplicity of the Startina....

Young Keets Grow sooo fast their first few weeks they need the protien to keep up develop the best strongest and healthiest. Mine were flying by two weeks and we are not talking just fluttering about we are talking up over head and get the net flying.

I read an Ag extension article that suggested 28% protein the first 4 weeks, then 20% until... 8 weeks? And then 16% after that.

I feed Purina, b/c other feed labels around here are either full of ruminant byproducts (
sickbyc.gif
) or too bloody expensive. I just opened one of the fancy Purina bags (all natural).

Quote:
The Purena I believe has fish meal. Ruminant by products aren't necessarily bad. These guys are omnivores just like chickens.... but they eat more insects if they had their druthers. If you go with the guinea people the higher the protein the better.

Back
Top Bottom