What do you feed your layers?

I use Purina layer pellets it's rare I ever get a soft shell egg I've had luck with this feed on occasion they get oatmeal pumpkin fruit veggies cracked corn but not all at one time its just what I might have available I try to keep treats to once a week and I toss in some grit when I need to I've had mine on lock down for a while due to ai summer time they get grass and dandelion

Hi, y'all. Curious about people's honest experiences with feed, and/or experiences with changing feeds.

I was using a much more expensive Grubbly Farms feed to raise our chicks and grow as they came into lay. However we also added ducks, which we put on the NatureWise All Flock, readily available from TSC. We tried another locally available cheap grower + oyster shells while the last few birds came into lay, and we have since switched them all over to the all flock. [+ oyster shells or lightly toasted eggshells on the side.]

So far, we've had a lot of success! I'm not sure if their feathers appear quite as shiny on this feed vs. the Grubbly Farms, but the birds are all still totally soft, fluffy, healthy, and laying. So as much as I love the other feed, for my needs, at this time I just couldn't justify the pricetag.

Our Australorps came into lay mid-late September, (that I know of. I had to keep them in the coop a few days because I suspected someone might be laying in the yard, and got the first egg 9/20). The Welsummers took about six weeks longer and we got our first speckled and terra cotta eggs starting 11/21.

We have had no problems with them laying over the winter, either. I may not get many on days I need to keep them confined, but they always make up for it the next day. One day, we even got an egg from literally every single chicken in our flock!!!

So that's all; interested to hear how it's been going for others on their respective feeds, if you've had any reason to switch, and how that went as well.
My 5 hens are almost 2 yrs old and i give them Natures Best Organic chick/starter/grower crumbles. 20% I offer real oyster shells i collect and crush. I also mix some Natures Best 16% layer pellets with the 20% chick starter. They sift through and leave the layer pellets.

Attachments

• C4FB6063-B1C5-4388-A5AA-F02919DB897B.jpeg
    C4FB6063-B1C5-4388-A5AA-F02919DB897B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
My 5 hens are almost 2 yrs old and i give them Natures Best Organic chick/starter/grower crumbles. 20% I offer real oyster shells i collect and crush. I also mix some Natures Best 16% layer pellets with the 20% chick starter. They sift through and leave the layer pellets.
My 5 gals stopped laying completely end of September, and started back up 3 weeks ago. They all molted and now are beautiful, and laying very hard shelled, perfect eggs. I am blessed. 🐓❤️

That's so great you can harvest your own oyster shells! Too funny they don't like the pellets. Can you crush them up at all?

That's so great you can harvest your own oyster shells! Too funny they don't like the pellets. Can you crush them up at all?
Hello! The only reason i even purchased the 16% layer feed pellets is because i thought i was supposed to switch them. I actually kept them on the chic starter after they starting laying. I lost a hen after 1 full year of having my flock. I have NO idea what happened, but it made me nervous, and i thought, it must be the feed(?). I went and purchased a bag of the layer feed and switched to that exclusively. After 3 month, i noticed feathers not looking at bright/healthy, so i got more chick starter, and mix the 2. I'm not worried about them not wanting the layers pellets because, their eggs are hard as rocks and i think its because of the oyster shells. When they wernt laying, they didnt touch those oyster shells. Now i have had to fill it 3 times since they started laying. When i wet the feeds in water they cant tell the difference, but, now i am thinking, if they are not eating the 16% layer feed, but still have awesome eggs with the 20% starter crumbles and some real oyster shells. When i first started with chickens, after hours of nutrition research, i walked away feeling no matter what, its protein for the win. Lysine and methionine are super important too and the %'s on the bag although on the lower side of ok, seems ok. My hens free range about 4 hrs a day on the side of a mountain with lots of little ecosystems to enjoy. They have a route that we travel daily. I live on a dead end with a long driveway. We love to walk around after it rains when all the worms have come to the surface to dry out and make crunchy little snacks. 🤣🐓❤️

Hello! The only reason i even purchased the 16% layer feed pellets is because i thought i was supposed to switch them. I actually kept them on the chic starter after they starting laying. I lost a hen after 1 full year of having my flock. I have NO idea what happened, but it made me nervous, and i thought, it must be the feed(?). I went and purchased a bag of the layer feed and switched to that exclusively. After 3 month, i noticed feathers not looking at bright/healthy, so i got more chick starter, and mix the 2. I'm not worried about them not wanting the layers pellets because, their eggs are hard as rocks and i think its because of the oyster shells. When they wernt laying, they didnt touch those oyster shells. Now i have had to fill it 3 times since they started laying. When i wet the feeds in water they cant tell the difference, but, now i am thinking, if they are not eating the 16% layer feed, but still have awesome eggs with the 20% starter crumbles and some real oyster shells. When i first started with chickens, after hours of nutrition research, i walked away feeling no matter what, its protein for the win. Lysine and methionine are super important too and the %'s on the bag although on the lower side of ok, seems ok. My hens free range about 4 hrs a day on the side of a mountain with lots of little ecosystems to enjoy. They have a route that we travel daily. I live on a dead end with a long driveway. We love to walk around after it rains when all the worms have come to the surface to dry out and make crunchy little snacks. 🤣🐓❤️
That's great! Yeah I think you're right that the calcium in the oyster shells is the main thing they would not be getting in the starter, and the 20% protein is better for them. I think that's why a lot of people use a 20% all flock. But I'm not sure if there any other reason nutritionally not to keep feeding the chick starter. 🤷 @U_Stormcrow

That's great! Yeah I think you're right that the calcium in the oyster shells is the main thing they would not be getting in the starter, and the 20% protein is better for them. I think that's why a lot of people use a 20% all flock. But I'm not sure if there any other reason nutritionally not to keep feeding the chick starter. 🤷 @U_Stormcrow
After work, I'll come back to this - but the quick answer is that "starter" is often medicated, usually amprolium here in the US. And while there is no withdrawal period for amprolium (so you can eat eggs from chickens consuming it with their feed - and likely have if you have been eating supermarket eggs for decades), its generally unnecessary.

Longer post later. Mostly on "branding"/market segment differentiation.

I see you attached U-stormcrow to the
After work, I'll come back to this - but the quick answer is that "starter" is often medicated, usually amprolium here in the US. And while there is no withdrawal period for amprolium (so you can eat eggs from chickens consuming it with their feed - and likely have if you have been eating supermarket eggs for decades), its generally unnecessary.

Longer post later. Mostly on "branding"/market segment differentiation.
:caf waiting patiently, lol

Back
Top Bottom