What do you feed your layers?

except for when I transition chicks from starter/grower to flock maker. Then I mix them and slowly change the mixture from mostly one to the other.
I guess it does not matter much, as chickens don't gobble up tons of food at a time.
Good point.

I think I did it the first time I had chicks because that's what I thought "you were supposed to do." The second time, the flock maker had noticeably larger pieces, so that's why I did it.

The flock maker I have now is a small enough crumble that I don't think it'll make a difference with the next batch. (109 days! :))

I feed flock raiser with free choice oyster shell. Surprisingly my game hens, who’s laying normally slows or stops during the summer, fall and winter. Has remained steady. While my laying hens have slowed considerably. To what they normally lay during the winter. Overall we are experiencing a mild winter. Even with most days being above freezing. There has been a lot of cloudy, overcast days. Along with some dramatic temperature swings. It will be fifty degrees F. in the morning. Drop into the teens by evening, then falling below zero by the next morning. Bouncing back into fifties again. within a few days. Which has to have their systems going crazy.

I feed flock raiser with free choice oyster shell. Surprisingly my game hens, who’s laying normally slows or stops during the summer, fall and winter. Has remained steady. While my laying hens have slowed considerably. To what they normally lay during the winter. Overall we are experiencing a mild winter. Even with most days being above freezing. There has been a lot of cloudy, overcast days. Along with some dramatic temperature swings. It will be fifty degrees F. in the morning. Drop into the teens by evening, then falling below zero by the next morning. Bouncing back into fifties again. within a few days. Which has to have their systems going crazy.
That IS crazy weather. What a weird year it's been for much of the US.

Hi, y'all. Curious about people's honest experiences with feed, and/or experiences with changing feeds.

I was using a much more expensive Grubbly Farms feed to raise our chicks and grow as they came into lay. However we also added ducks, which we put on the NatureWise All Flock, readily available from TSC. We tried another locally available cheap grower + oyster shells while the last few birds came into lay, and we have since switched them all over to the all flock. [+ oyster shells or lightly toasted eggshells on the side.]

So far, we've had a lot of success! I'm not sure if their feathers appear quite as shiny on this feed vs. the Grubbly Farms, but the birds are all still totally soft, fluffy, healthy, and laying. So as much as I love the other feed, for my needs, at this time I just couldn't justify the pricetag.

Our Australorps came into lay mid-late September, (that I know of. I had to keep them in the coop a few days because I suspected someone might be laying in the yard, and got the first egg 9/20). The Welsummers took about six weeks longer and we got our first speckled and terra cotta eggs starting 11/21.

We have had no problems with them laying over the winter, either. I may not get many on days I need to keep them confined, but they always make up for it the next day. One day, we even got an egg from literally every single chicken in our flock!!!

So that's all; interested to hear how it's been going for others on their respective feeds, if you've had any reason to switch, and how that went as well.
I use nutrena naturewise all flock 20% , mine free range completely, we keep 2 pans of food out all the time. I toast egg shells , keep oyster shell, chick grit and regular grit available, especially with all the rain making it harder to get natural grit. I mix producers pride peckables, flock party meal worms and total care nut&fruit /song bird blend..i throw 1-2 handfuls when i let the youngsters out and right before roost time.. there are 8+6+6 biddies+7 total right now..

I...

feed in a way I don't recommend others do. I don't have the same expectations of my birds, and they don't get the lifespan that most BYCers want for theirs. I also have greater risk tolerance than many.

So, since you asked. I feed my birds once a day a mix (50/50) of a 16% "Layer" formulation frrom a local mill with a 24% "Grower" formulation from the same mill - and that goes to all my adult birds, both genders, and also my ducks (both genders). My young birds (until 8-10 weeks) are raised on the 24% grower exclusively. The rest of the time, they free range acres of polyculture, which varies with the season.

I use nutrena naturewise all flock 20% , mine free range completely, we keep 2 pans of food out all the time. I toast egg shells , keep oyster shell, chick grit and regular grit available, especially with all the rain making it harder to get natural grit. I mix producers pride peckables, flock party meal worms and total care nut&fruit /song bird blend..i throw 1-2 handfuls when i let the youngsters out and right before roost time.. there are 8+6+6 biddies+7 total right now..
I've been toasting eggshells too, so I'm either offering that or oyster shells every day, if I forgot to say. and Yes! The Flock Party mealworms! I use a couple yogurt cupfuls to lure them into the enclosure when I have it on hand, but I ran out for the time being. The girls will be so happy when I restock!!! I might look into some other interesting things to mix in, Thanks!

Last edited:
I live in Oklahoma, and we have our own feed mill called Big V Feeds based in McAlester. The family-owned farm store carries it. I give all my chickens the All Way feed, which is made into the baby kernel size, and made for every age of a mixed flock. I haven't checked if it's good for ducks yet (and I probably need to) but my girls have the prettiest, shiniest feathers and lay well on it. Oyster shell or crushed egg shells on the side, too.

Back
Top Bottom