What do you feed your layers?

Those are not equal parts. Hunt's formula would not apply.
To be honest his formula didn't work on my first feed ration either.

His formula stated that 75 lb of a 17% layer and 25 lb of a 28% game bird feed was 20.67% when it is actually 19.75.
It was off by .92%.

A very easy way to figure out percentage is to add your equal components. 17+17+28=62 then divide by # of components which is 3 equal parts so 62 divided by 3 = 20.67

To be honest his formula didn't work on my first feed ration either.

His formula stated that 75 lb of a 17% layer and 25 lb of a 28% game bird feed was 20.67% when it is actually 19.75.
It was off by .92%.
That was 3 parts not 4 I didn't do 4-part component. 17+17+17+28=79 divided by 4 =19.75

I wasn't trying to prove you wrong just stating what was posted wasn't correct so others wouldn't make that mistake which was just a typo and was corrected. My formula does work on equal parts/components and is the easiest way I know of.

Last edited:
He made an obvious typo, flipping his ingredients ratio, and later fumbled a bit of mental arithmatic. Let it go. Anyone remember the original (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka? "Strike that, reverse it!"

Its not like he proudly posted some home made chicken feed based on BOSS and oats, then proudly proclaimed it over 20% protein. That, in my opinion (which you can certainly disregard) is when you throw darts. and if darts don't work, throw axes. ;)

@Crooked C Farm Sorry if anything I posted was offensive in any way, my posts are usually short and direct without ill attentions and know we all make mistakes. (Never was much on writing essays. :D) I was just trying to point out a few misstatements so no one would have any ill effects and gave some examples of the different % using those feed % and an easy formula for getting % of equal components.
throw darts. and if darts don't work, throw axes. ;)
100% prefers arrows over darts or axes here. :lau

@Crooked C Farm Sorry if anything I posted was offensive in any way, my posts are usually short and direct without ill attentions and know we all make mistakes. (Never was much on writing essays. :D) I was just trying to point out a few misstatements so no one would have any ill effects and gave some examples of the different % using those feed % and an easy formula for getting % of equal components.

100% prefers arrows over darts or axes here. :lau
Your good, I got called into work and by the time I got off work and got night chores done it was too late to get on here.

It will take more than a little post to offend me.

Your good, I got called into work and by the time I got off work and got night chores done it was too late to get on here.

It will take more than a little post to offend me.
Great and I would like to WELCOME YOU TO BYC there are some very knowledgeable folks here on BYC always willing to help and I'm sure you will fit in with them nicely.

I asked the local shopkeeper for the "ten" picturing ten pounds and got ten kilos of a mash the chicks love, which has wheat, barley, corn, oats, soy, vitamins, and unspecified ingredients. I'm sensitive to soy, so I am mixing this mash with an oatmeal/wheat/corn mix I grind together with a hand mill to get the chicks familiar with actual grains while I look for something better. The chicks also range the yard, which includes opportunities to clean up the alfalfa/corn grindings wasted from the cuy bowl and cuy poop. (The cuys' alfalfa pellets are ground together with corn kernels.) They also sometimes get treats like sunflower seed or table scraps.
I'm trying to raise fodder trays, but it keeps molding.

Back
Top Bottom