1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you feed?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SJM, Jul 29, 2007.

1. SJM

SJM Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    Just curious to see what everyone feed their meat birds. I feed a 20-24% feed. Does anyone use corn?

Also my brother ( these meat chicks are our summer project ) was wondering if you could almost marinate them while they are still living by feed in peppers ect. for the last week or so.

2. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Personally I use scratch corn. It is used as a filler only. From what the feed man tells me, it does no harm. It is like a treat to them. Thats all I know... but then of course you might want to wait for someone else to reply that knows more than I do since I have only had mine for a short time.

Tes

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    If you mean by feeding them corn instead of broiler feed? Then no. If you mean as a treat, then of course you can. Make sure you used cracked corn.

In general, though, I find meat chickens disinterested in the scratch I throw out for them, whereas the hens go ape over it. I also worry a bit about scratch, since the meat birds are very messy. They'd be pecking it out of their own droppings unless you threw it in there right after moving the shelter/tractor.

4. mommahento5

mommahento5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    South East Indiana
    I fed mine chick starter grower (20% protein) the whole time. The last week or so, they were getting enormous, so I mixed in about half and half scratch grains with their regular food (don't forget if you feed them scratch, you'll need to feed them grit too-just mix it in the food) to try to slow their growth a bit. They got huge by the end and we should have butchered about 2 weeks sooner than we did...but we couldn't get in sooner. They were between 4.6 lbs and 6.5 lbs dead weight! Some of them looked like small turkeys! They were 8 weeks old. Still tasted good though!

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I do grower for all 8 weeks. I avoid corn as it is a hot food and thus increases their overheating chances too much for my tastes. To answer the last question, I don' t think you could marinate them alive. Food will go in and come out digested, they don't taste like corn after you butcher them, same will go with peppers.

6. alaskanhenhouse

alaskanhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Wasilla Alaska
    i use game bird starter for 4 weeks then grower but finish off with one week of cracked corn and oats before butcher. seems to sweetin them up a bit. I also don't confine them. they are free to wander but they tend to not wander far from where they find food.

I wouldn't say you could marinate them so to speak but there is a big difference in the flavor of meat depending on what they eat. for example the difference between grain/pasture feed and commercial pellet feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by