What do you feed?

I started with hi-pro duck and goose starter (22% protein). Despite saying “duck” it contains no niacin (nutritional yeast to supplement, but then protein becomes too high, so I added scratch too, at that point it became too much hassle for uncertain results…) and i had a grain mite infestation (nit sure if from production or bad storage at feed store). Either way, do not recommend.

Now I give them natures mix chick grower (unmedicated, 18% protein) with 1 tbsp nutritional yeast per cup for vitamin B and extra proteins, plus occasional meal worms.

Will continue with same brand and free choice oyster shells when they are adults.

What breed of ducklings? Breed is really the biggest factor.
Pekins for example are heavier ducks, they need more niacin in their diet to have strong enough legs to support their extra weight. Less protein the first few weeks to control growth speed is also a good idea.
They usually do best on a waterfowl specific starter, I like nutrena waterfowl/all flock for a lot of breeds.
The lighter breeds can do ok on most anything with enough niacin. I really like mazuri, but it's very expensive and if I didn't raise exotics I wouldn't use it. I've never tried kalmbach but I've heard good things about it. I feed my exotic ducks nutrena layer pellets and nutrena all flock, with BSFL occasionally, and purina 32 catfish food free choice. They love that stuff. It also contains a lot of niacin and vitamins. I like them having the fish meal and extra protein it provides.

This is the best diet I've found for my birds. They are all a good weight and very healthy. No leg issues or angel wing.
And best of all, it's not very expensive.
Indian Runner

I will definitely post photos when we get them. They are ordered, but I ordered to arrive in March. We have some more yard clearing that I want to do before they get here. And a small pond to put in for them :)

Back
Top Bottom