What do you feed?

Bahari

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2023
I've been doing a ton of research getting ready for ducklings in March. The one thing I'm having trouble finding is what everyone feeds. Are some companies better than others? For both starter crumble and layer pellet. I've read a lot about Mazuri, but there is also Manna Pro and Kalmbach. Any thoughts on feeds?

Susan

Since I have a mixed flock I feed chicken starter grower and add Nutritional yeast to it every day. Once they get 4 months old they start with layer mixed with starter grower until they begin to lay then it's just layer. Nature Crest is the feed name. If they made a NON GMO all flock I would buy it.

I use Kalmbach flock maker crumble or Purina Flock Raiser. I have not had any niacin deficiency issues even with larger breeds (30 some birds over a few years). My ducks do have access to grass etc.at a young age as well. The ducks can be on these foods for their whole lives.

I've been doing a ton of research getting ready for ducklings in March. The one thing I'm having trouble finding is what everyone feeds. Are some companies better than others? For both starter crumble and layer pellet. I've read a lot about Mazuri, but there is also Manna Pro and Kalmbach. Any thoughts on feeds?

Susan
What breed of ducklings? Breed is really the biggest factor.
Pekins for example are heavier ducks, they need more niacin in their diet to have strong enough legs to support their extra weight. Less protein the first few weeks to control growth speed is also a good idea.
They usually do best on a waterfowl specific starter, I like nutrena waterfowl/all flock for a lot of breeds.
The lighter breeds can do ok on most anything with enough niacin. I really like mazuri, but it's very expensive and if I didn't raise exotics I wouldn't use it. I've never tried kalmbach but I've heard good things about it. I feed my exotic ducks nutrena layer pellets and nutrena all flock, with BSFL occasionally, and purina 32 catfish food free choice. They love that stuff. It also contains a lot of niacin and vitamins. I like them having the fish meal and extra protein it provides.

This is the best diet I've found for my birds. They are all a good weight and very healthy. No leg issues or angel wing.
And best of all, it's not very expensive.

Local feed: https://tuckermilling.com/flock/ both the starter crumbles and developer pellets for my Muscovy. Even though I switched to sinking 44% protein fish pellets, they still get the miscellaneous floaters. They also get mealworms, 45% protein, regularly. I think I'll try the Kalmbach pellets @ a lower 18% protein to balance their diet. I added a bottle of B3 niacin to their water the 1st 2-3 weeks as a little boost. They didn't hesitate to eat and grew up healthy. Once the ducklings get to be juveniles, the niacin content in All Flock should suffice. Some say there's more protein, niacin, and grit, in a free-range wild diet but the tradeoff is safety.
Nature Crest
Just noticed Nature Crest is also produced by Tucker Milling. Best wishes.

Last edited:
Since I have a mixed flock I feed chicken starter grower and add Nutritional yeast to it every day. Once they get 4 months old they start with layer mixed with starter grower until they begin to lay then it's just layer. Nature Crest is the feed name. If they made a NON GMO all flock I would buy it.
you dont have any boys?

i was just shopping tsc just saw that they have Natures Best organic All Flock and it is Non GMO

Back
Top Bottom