What do you get??

insmokesimage

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 26, 2013
I have golden sex link hens and a golden sex link rooster. What will you get since you have to breed two different breeds to get the golden sex link. I have three chicks and one is cream. However they look like they may be hens.

When I breed my red sex links they tend to produce barred offspring, so I am assuming that the original pairing used was red rooster over barred hen. There is no way to sex link the offspring from sex linked birds, as ramirez said. What colors are you getting besides cream? In your case, the gold sex links may have been produced by a red rooster and a silver-based hen that is not barred.

Thanks for the responses! From what we were told it was a Rhode Island White and a Rhode Island Red that made the Golden Sex Link. Two of my chicks are white and one cream. The cream one is very very light cream. They are 2 months old.

This one is it. Its feathers look dingy. This is the cream one.

Cream on the left and white on the right and white in the back.

When I breed my red sex links they tend to produce barred offspring, so I am assuming that the original pairing used was red rooster over barred hen. There is no way to sex link the offspring from sex linked birds, as ramirez said. What colors are you getting besides cream? In your case, the gold sex links may have been produced by a red rooster and a silver-based hen that is not barred.
A red roo over a barred hen will give black sex links, not red. If you're getting barred offspring, chances are the hens were white rocks where the white masked barring, I've heard of that in some second generation matings.

To the OP--most second generation sex links turn out with a mix of red and white, but there can be some wild card genetics at play also. And no, no sexing by color with those babies, sorry.

A red roo over a barred hen will give black sex links, not red. If you're getting barred offspring, chances are the hens were white rocks where the white masked barring, I've heard of that in some second generation matings.

To the OP--most second generation sex links turn out with a mix of red and white, but there can be some wild card genetics at play also. And no, no sexing by color with those babies, sorry.

Ha, thank you for the genetics lesson! I clearly need it lol. And very interesting about the white masking the barred in there.

I am surprised that OP is getting such standard birds with sex links after the weird things I've gotten, but I am mixing mutts to mutts, so...

Ha, thank you for the genetics lesson! I clearly need it lol. And very interesting about the white masking the barred in there.

I am surprised that OP is getting such standard birds with sex links after the weird things I've gotten, but I am mixing mutts to mutts, so...
Have you seen Fred's Hens' thread about breeding his ISA browns to the third generation? He got a really wild mix the second generation, lots of unexpected colors. Then again, he was doing larger quantity than the OP, so had a larger pool.

Back
Top Bottom