What do you give your chickens...

lorihadams

Songster
11 Years
Sep 17, 2008
virginia
What do you give your chickens to dust in? They are in a 10 x 10 run with a 4 x8 coop attached and they get to roam around outside some every couple of days when the weather allows. In one corner of the run they are trying to dust themselves in the dirt and I am afraid they are going to dig a hole big enough for something to get in that corner. I was thinking about using one of those tubs from home depot that I have seen others use to collect poop under their roosting poles but I don't know what to put in the tub. What do your chickens dust in?

Thanks,

Lori

Our flock uses an old kiddie wading pool that was used as our original brooder area. We have sand, food grade DE, dirt and wood shavings in the pool. This is what it looks like. The straw was kicked into the pool from the other ladies scratching for goodies in the hen house....

b86f59c7.jpg

And here is a whole conversation from earlier on BYC...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=79252

Last edited:
That chicken is in the weirdest position. I'd panic if I saw one of our girls like that.

Our girls dig holes to China in the corners of our run, but I just shovel them back in again that night. A kiddie pool is a better idea.

Quote:
I think Martha was in the "end of the massage, so relaxed I can't move" stage in that shot. The first time I saw one of our first flock of tiny chicks dust batheing, I did panic.... until I saw she was still breathing!
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom