What do you grow for fodder?

I see it listed in posts but newbie here and I am not sure what that means other than something similar to hay or sprouts? Assuming grass or greens or something like it?
Yes, its similar to sprouts but grown in a tray and is fed to livestock (but mostly chickens).

Simply put fodder is sprouted grain seed. The choice of grain is personal preference, and based on availability, location (field/garden/indoor trays etc) and climate.
My personal preference is barley seed bc it can easily sprout with little sunlight so it’s perfect for winter fodder in my area where winter is long. I also have rye seed for a food plot but I think it needs a lot of sunlight so not too sure how good it would work for me to try in trays in my basement as the walkout faces east. Maybe someone who knows better will chime in.
In the meantime, I really like this fodder tower article by @gtaus. Check it out if it interests you.

After trying all the grasses and grains the birds and I decided we like alfalfa the best. Let the birds have it at three to five inches tall when it still has the tender round leaflets. The alfalfa sprouting seed is a little pricy because chickens are competing with the healthfood market.

Something like hard red wheat can be purchased cheap in bulk at the feed store and it sprouts pretty well. Wild bird seed (primarily millet and milo seed) is also cheap and sprouts well. If these grasses are being given to the birds when still young (3 to 8 inches) it is tender enough that you do not have to worry about crop impaction.

I sprout in a shallow (1 inch or less) layer of saturated soil. It might be ready to give to the birds before the soil needs more water but you have to monitor it to make sure. The fodder is easy to handle when there is a root mass to hold everything together. You can pick it up out of the sprouting container in one piece.

You can cheat the climate by sprouting and growing it under 24-hour artificial light.

Last edited:
I'm also new and was wondering about growing fodder. I came across this suggestion somewhere on this forum (specific to my growing area, but they have options on the site for other areas I believe).

I'm hearing about moderation with treats. How does this apply with those using a fodder system -- they have a mat of greens to offer every day? Is this considered too much of a treat?

For context,
I only have pullets and hoping to have them all laying eggs. They are on a 20% protein feed and will get calcium supp. once they're laying. Would a fodder system work or is that too much "treat"?

The thing is, they'll eat a little bit of it and then destroy and waste the rest. But, if you grow a mat of greens then you can cut or tear off clumps and give it to them little by little to make it last longer.

Back
Top Bottom