What do you grow to feed the chickens??

If you want to grow a plant that makes a huge statement, try sorghum, or milo. I grew it last year, and it grew 10' tall. Every day, I'd pull down a head and just leave it bent over on the ground. The flock would attack it.

I read an article with pictures, on growing sorghum, amaranth, and sunflowers together in a border. I prefer the shorter varieties for grain, but I would like to plant such a border. I imagine that a border like this would be good for attracting insects to.

I mentioned this before, but I want to mention this again. If there is any rotation with managing the birds, sometimes tiling a section in their pasture, is beneficial. If there is a variety of native plants in the pasture, it would not be as helpful. In some pastures, their is a shortage of diversity. Sometimes just tilling a section brings a variety of native seeds to the surface where they sprout and grow. Left alone for a time, the insects will colonize it. I have found that in my circumstances, it is a cheap and effective way to improve the birds forage. A simple grass lawn is beneficial, but not as beneficial as it could be.

The more plant diversity, the more insects. A variation of short and tall thick forage aids the insect population, and still provides the birds access.

I have trees and leaf litter as part of my poultry pens. In the rotation, I maintain it as I do the green forage. I will add a layer of fallen limbs from the trees in order to discourage their scratching, in some places for a time. The sticks break down in time.
To keep it simple, left alone, the insects are allowed to reproduce in the leaf litter, and become food for the birds. It does not cost any money. It only costs time.

Another variation of this is to have a pen where leaves, clippings, straw, etc. can be accumulated. In different seasons, or at different times, the birds can be allowed access to harvest the invertebrates, weed seeds etc.

Simply planting bird seed works, and is cheaper than buying seed when you get it on sale. Most mixes contain red millet, but the red millets are not a problem as a supplement. Allowing it to set seed, and then cutting to let the birds harvest it themselves works, in a rotation.

I like ideas that are cost effective, and labor friendly. I do not want to spend more on the supplement than I do the feed.

I prefer shorter plants too. But, I tell you, seeing that Sorghum stretch up into the sky was an impressive sight. Will be doing a dedicated area of sorghum and sunflowers this spring, just for the glory of it.

A friend of mine grows sugar cane, and some different sorghums for making syrups etc. I always enjoyed viewing the field, and walking the different sections.

Last edited:
A friend of mine grows sugar cane, and some different sorghums for making syrups etc. I always enjoyed viewing the field, and walking the different sections.
I read back a few pages on this thread and found sorghum. I looked that up and there are some species that are toxic to animals. Which species of sorghum do you grow?

I would be planting for chickens forage and treats mostly.

Is it an invasive plant? I have an over-abundance of invasive vines now that I am trying to get rid of before it kills all of my cedar trees.

I read back a few pages on this thread and found sorghum. I looked that up and there are some species that are toxic to animals. Which species of sorghum do you grow?

I would be planting for chickens forage and treats mostly.

Is it an invasive plant? I have an over-abundance of invasive vines now that I am trying to get rid of before it kills all of my cedar trees.

The problem with some sorghum cultivars is the tannins and anti nutrient properties that they have. There are good cultivars, and they are developing more. Not all sorghum is the same.

This PDF is helpful. www.agmrc.org/media/cms/Sorghum_Handbook_B5FE1C2B5DBCF.pdf

Last edited:
The problem with some sorghum cultivars is the tannins and anti nutrient properties that they have. There are good cultivars, and they are developing more. Not all sorghum is the same.

This PDF is helpful. www.agmrc.org/media/cms/Sorghum_Handbook_B5FE1C2B5DBCF.pdf

Thank you for the reference. I glanced through it and found some recipies for Gluten free baked goods as well. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about 5 year ago.

I will read more into the article and decide what kinds of seeds I would like to plant in my area. It would be mostly for the chickens.

Hey there George.  I have looked and cannot find kudzu seeds being offered anywhere. Everywhere I look, I find supplements and herbicides or books.  Does it grow around where you live?  Maybe I could talk you into sending me a handful of seeds?
Just my advice I would not plant kudzu. It is very invasive here in georgia, and is very hard to kill it.

Back
Top Bottom