What do you grow to feed the chickens??

Every climate has it's challenges!!!! I've lived in NewEngland forever and I'm still learning.
Anyone have suggestions on what to grow in a desert climate? So far I have sunflowers and some pumpkin plants.
MOst native plants are few and far bwtween because of the lack of moisture and nutrients. Humans intervene and alter this by pumping water and "improving " the soil. YOu can start by composting all the veggie scraps, and composting the droppings of the chickens and other birds.

I'm thinking you could try hydroponics to grow things. Duckweed in a tub? Creat other small microclimates to grow things. Perhaps a pergola with areas of improved soil for the climbers which create a shaded area underneath; then build up that soil and in time grow some things there? ( I"m really just trying to spark an idea that you can investigate and run with!!)
Quote: I'm trying to remember what the terrain of Scotland looks like--- hills and craggy low mountains with native scrub grasses and busshes. I loved it and thought it gorgeous. Cool and foggy. Loch WIndemere was my favorite.

I"m think your climate is much like New ENgland, just more moist, little harsher little cooler all year long. ALways thought of it as good growing potential, maybe I have romaticized Scotland! lol It's been 30 years since being there-- but it left an impresssion on an outdoorsy girl!

Every climate has it's challenges!!!! I've lived in NewEngland forever and I'm still learning.
MOst native plants are few and far bwtween because of the lack of moisture and nutrients. Humans intervene and alter this by pumping water and "improving " the soil. YOu can start by composting all the veggie scraps, and composting the droppings of the chickens and other birds.

I'm thinking you could try hydroponics to grow things. Duckweed in a tub? Creat other small microclimates to grow things. Perhaps a pergola with areas of improved soil for the climbers which create a shaded area underneath; then build up that soil and in time grow some things there? ( I"m really just trying to spark an idea that you can investigate and run with!!)
I'm trying to remember what the terrain of Scotland looks like--- hills and craggy low mountains with native scrub grasses and busshes. I loved it and thought it gorgeous. Cool and foggy. Loch WIndemere was my favorite.

I"m think your climate is much like New ENgland, just more moist, little harsher little cooler all year long. ALways thought of it as good growing potential, maybe I have romaticized Scotland! lol It's been 30 years since being there-- but it left an impresssion on an outdoorsy girl!
haha It's a bit like New England. I lived in Florida for 7 years so it's a nice change. We got seasons here last year, this year ...well like everywhere this year it's pretty much rained or snowed? Don't know what's happened, It's like winter is playing a cruel joke on everyone!
It's made it a little tricky to plant the normal plants we would in Spring.

New York got hit with 36 inches of snow over a couple days of snow-- heard it on the news daysterday or the day before, so I assume this was a recent storm. Here in Mass we had a few very cold days, low 40's at night, so I would beleive NY had snow over those same days!!

I do see the winds are windier here. I see huge fluctuations in temps and weather. THis week we will hit the 90's for about 2- 3 days--

I'm trying to understand what this will mean in the long run. THe overall temps are increasing, but the day to day weather is more volitile. More thunderstorms roll thru between fronts.

I planted some oats but now I have reservations. Tall grasses are not favored by the chickens-- horses but not chickens. THe birds have almost abandoned the back yard to grow tall, where as in the spring they had it nipped into a buzz cut!! ( I put the sheep out there now to kep it down).

My impression is that some grasses are better than others for chickens. Generally low , not tall.

I do have duckweed in a tub outside, but for some reason it's not reproducing as fast as I thought it would. It's not dying out, so I know there is *some* reproduction going on, but it's been a month and I only have a tablespoon or so floating around...
idunno.gif

@ The good life girl: MInt? Not growing? That stuff is so invasive!! Even I can neglect it and it will grow.

@deserthomestead: Maybe the duckweed needs to be warmer? Is it getting enough nutrients?

Try shading it for a week or two...both. Here I have both and to get more of either I shade the mint runners with another plant and will add taller hyacinths to the pond for the lil plants. They sorta panic and reach for the light and multiply faster here in the high heats than they would just left alone. Then leave the "shade" or remove it after a couple weeks...they'll continue to grow but may slow from the shock of full sun again. Both are hardy and shouldn't die tho. Don't fertilizer the mint. Make it go looking for what it wants.

I'm having the same trouble with my mint!?

Mint-- I actually love mint. My mother grows it. Had it at both houses we lived in. THen she gave plants to everyone in the family. My SIL now loves it in her iced tea just like we do. Can't have iced tea without mint.

I looked at my wild patch of it and the dog dug to China in the middle of it; and the runners outside the fence have been nibbled down by the chickens. WOnder if that makes the chicken taste as good as lamb and mint?

When I weed my yard and garden I feed the weeds that I pull to the chickens. They include dandelions, purslane, young pigweed and most anything that grows. I also feed them turnips, lettuce. spinach and mustard. Watermelon and cantalopes are favorites. The chickens get any left over produce. They aren't picky eaters.

Back
Top Bottom