What do you grow to feed the chickens??

My girsl are feasting on the lat of the summer squash. Hmm, I wonder if I put a clear cover over a plant it it will keep growing out those little squash.

i say give it a try.. what have you got to loose?..

I have taken small glass aquariums and used them as makeshift cold frames / mini greenhouses before... its crazy how some of the plants take off and go nuts when they have their mini greenhouses.. lol

Quote:
I plant Rye and Clover in a location where I can let the chickens free range on it. I also plant enough extras in the garden that I can cut some and feed to the chickens. They love almost anything green or vegetables.

I plant Rye and Clover in a location where I can let the chickens free range on it. I also plant enough extras in the garden that I can cut some and feed to the chickens. They love almost anything green or vegetables.

Hagar3, yes I'd like to know what kind of rye and clover too!

As I write this, hubby is fencing in a parallel run. We are going to build another small coop to use for broody moms or sick chickens who need to be separated. I was thinking that I might try to plant something in there in the spring and let em run wild in it. They love the kale so much, I might just go with that, but if there is something that would be super nutritious, I'd want to go with that... maybe that amaranth Arielle mentioned.

Hey, I'll come eat that kale for you!!

Noticed what they won't eat-- sorry about change in font, not sure what I did to change the font--- the tops of the parsnips were not prefered, the tomato plant itself is not eaten; and the squash leaves are not edible according to the birds.

Hey, I'll come eat that kale for you!!

Noticed what they won't eat-- sorry about change in font, not sure what I did to change the font--- the tops of the parsnips were not prefered, the tomato plant itself is not eaten; and the squash leaves are not edible according to the birds.
I'd be happy to share my kale. We have tons, which makes me very popular with the neighbors!

Funny they don't like parsnip tops, considering how they demolish carrot tops. Mine seem to eat just about everything.

I actually have a little left, in the high grasses so I think that is why the birds have not eaten it down. LOL

All my lovely flowering plants are gone in one area-- planning on moving the birds away fromthe house area as they only travel a bout 150 feet, maybe this will keep them further away and I can have my flower gardens back again.

Back
Top Bottom