What do you grow to feed the chickens??

Lazy gardener-- do you let the chicken have access all winter to the garden?? And do they have access during the growing season?? I'm trying to understand what their activity is that is so wonderfully benefiting you and the garden.

You might try sulfer powder instead of sevin-- seems to work on most bugs. I use it on the fleas on the cats, or is that I use it on the cats on the fleas . . . .

Tomatoes, spaghetti squash, basil, garlic, nasturim, marigolds, sunflowers of all kinds, parsley, sage & mint. Getting a rototiller the first of the week and bought seeds to start cucumber, collards, kale, summer squash, peas, beans and oregano. Have broccoli started too but they will have to share that with my 14 year old.
I have rototiller envy!! We are so rocky that only hand digging is possible. Oh the rocks!!

You have inspired me to try sage again.

And I need to make a plot to plant the fall crops--- I prefer collard greens to cabbage.

I hope you find the seeds.
fl.gif

I know a few years ago when I had my huge garden I got very overwhelmed trying to keep up putting up all the vegies every day. I don't ever want a garden that large again. But I do love growing a few things to eat and some just for fun.
I love you new term "Chatty Chads"!
I'm moving toward better quality food for my family. I have been reading Dr Amens books and another book on antibiotics-- we are killing ourselves. Too many antibiotics and not enough well grown nutritious food without chemicals. I was SHOCKED to learn that antibiotics are used on fruits and the consumer doesn't have to be informed. ANd the amt of antibiotic allowed in milk is unacceptable. Basically if we are drinking commercial milk we are drinking 30 mg of tetracycline per . . .lets just say we are ingesting antibiotics everyday.

THe book on antibiotics was alarming-- not that he wrote to be alarming, but that I got the big picture : many of our diseases are actually caused by the lack of good microbes in our body. ANd the antibiotics have done a good job of killing off so many of the types. A rather enlightening read--- all the more to grow our own food. ( The antibiotic on the fruit is considered organic!!)

I just planted 3 papaya trees today. I am not very fond of the fruit myself, but I bet the chickens will love them. I just hope that I will get some fruit before the winter.

Whic varity of papaya did you plant??? I see several types in the market.

We have tried them many times,and each time it is thumps down. NOne in my family has aquired a taste for them-- bet the chickens will love it!!!

I think they are red maradol, I bought a couple varieties of seeds and started them indoors during the winter. I have been needing to put them outdoors but didn't know where I wanted to plant them. Finally got them in the ground today. I agree with your family, they aren't the best fruit, kind of have a sweet taste with a hint of vomit. We really don't get cold weather here until late December, so I should be able to get a lot of fruit and maybe start some seeds for next year if they go over well with the chicks.

Yes, that is just the smell/flavor. I would have to be starving to eat one. PRickly pear fruit is delish compared to papaya.

At least by feeding the chooks you get the benifits of the fruit via the eggs.

With that super long growing season, hope they grow well for you!

Who is that beauty in your avatar??

Yes he is a beauty. It's a non bearded Cream Brabanter, I had some eggs shipped to me, package was beaten up and none of the eggs hatched, The seller was supposed to send me another dozen eggs, but it hasn't happened yet :(

WOw, he is a stunner.

Soory the seller hasn't send more eggs, hoepfully it will happen soon.

I have a sulmtaler, and the headdress is rather like wearing a fashionable hat. lol

I hope to possess him one day. When I incubated the eggs I threw in a couple of Buff Orpington eggs that I got from a neighbor. They hatched, so I have a male and female BO chicks right now. They were 5 weeks old today and are spoiled rotten, LOL

Back
Top Bottom