What do you grow to feed the chickens??

I would think not. They are in the nightshade family. If you're growing them in your flower bed, go ahead and plant them. If you're growing them on the fence of a barren run, I'd opt for something that was not so toxic. Perhaps some climbing nasturtiums, even a climbing rose. Any kind of garden pea. NOT sweet peas. Cucumbers. Grapes.

Last edited:
I would think not.  They are in the nightshade family.  If you're growing them in your flower bed, go ahead and plant them.  If you're growing them on the fence of a barren run, I'd opt for something that was not so toxic.  Perhaps some climbing nasturtiums, even a climbing rose.  Any kind of garden pea.  NOT sweet peas.  Cucumbers.  Grapes.

Thanks! I appreciate the other suggestions. I'll look into those instead.

Good to see everyone being thoughtful about the safety of the safety of the plants we feed our feathered friends.......thanks LG for fielding the morning glory question. I have had to pass on many plants since getting the chickens and also ta.ke care with the dogs too.. so many flowers have been eliminated from my flowr choices BUT have emmbraced others like sunflowrs, , english peas, etc as so many have lovely foliage and lovely flowers.

....Found a blue hen in the hoop house green house...lol.....DH booted her out...only baby tomoatos that need protecting..

Good luck-.---you will fiind more and more plants that are useful around chickens.

I have been feeding rabbit pellets over the winter to get some greens into my hens,

We grow zucchini, summer yellow squash, peas, red currant tomatoes, swiss chard, bell peppers, cucumber, leaf lettuce. beefsteak tomatoes, pumpkins, melons of different varieties and strawberries.
Our girls like everything but the bell peppers . I am happy to be able to give them fresh fruits and veggies to go along with their regular layer feed.
Oh, and we also ferment feed from time to time- they love it!

We grow zucchini, summer yellow squash, peas, red currant tomatoes, swiss chard, bell peppers, cucumber, leaf lettuce. beefsteak tomatoes, pumpkins, melons of different varieties and strawberries.
Our girls like everything but the bell peppers . I am happy to be able to give them fresh fruits and veggies to go along with their regular layer feed.
Oh, and we also ferment feed from time to time- they love it!

We have basically the same as you, but I have collard greens, sun flowers and herbs growing that I share with the girls. They love em!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom