what do you have in the run? Pics please!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jeanne25, Jul 21, 2011.

1. jeanne25

jeanne25 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    What do you all have in your runs for the girls to sit on, roost on, play on, be on?
    We are almost finished with our coop and run and I'm trying to think of things my girls can perch on.
    We have sand in the run, and it is covered.
    BTW, can you have too much sand? My contractor (husband!) thinks we have too much sand. It is about 5" deep. What do you think?
    Jeanne

2. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    To much sand? Thats like to many chickens. Can't be done!
    Seriously, all thery do is walk on it. They will be fine with 10 " of sand. I would not expend the effort to shovel any of it out. Will post pics of their(chickens) playground.

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hello,
    i believe there is already a thread on this subject. use the search button, its a great tool here.
    welcome to byc.

4. chickiepie

chickiepie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    Well, I don't think you have too much sand. Chickens dig a lot and 'rearrange' the dirt in their run, at least mine do. I did put a long 2" dowel through part of the run, so they can perch on it. I call it the front porch because in the evenings they always line up on it for a while before they go in the coop. [​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Hard to tell in this picture, but there's the roost up close in the corner, the "ladder" style roost at the far end, and then there's a huge branch roost between two posts in the middle. I also have a stump in there that gets moved around...
    [​IMG]

6. flitter

flitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Now don't laugh... in this heat I added a little lawn sprinkler that I turn on every so often to help cool them off and keep their mud puddle wet.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Nothing funny about that! We're all doing whatever we can to keep our chickens a tiny bit cooler in this horrid heat. [​IMG] Lawn sprinkler sounds good to me.

8. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    We have been watering our girls with a sprinkler every day for a month or so. Kind of like watering the garden.

9. jeanne25

jeanne25 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks for the input everyone.
    Annie, how do I search for that thread? I'm new to all of this....can you tell? [​IMG]
    teach1rusl, how do you have grass that looks so good and green?
    I have learned SO much here, and everyone is so helpful. You all should be proud!! Thanks

10. flitter

flitter Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens don't seem too appreciative... until I turn it off and they play in the puddles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by