What do you keep extra feed in?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by doodledo, Aug 16, 2016.

1. doodledo

doodledo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    I am thinking of starting to order feed. It is best to get 10 bags or more for shipping discounts. Was wondering what you keep your feed in to keep critters out and to keep it from molding in the hot summer months.

2. tomphot

tomphot Chillin' With My Peeps

Google the Gamma2 Vittles Vault - the top lid closes tight and keeps the food dry and safe.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Buying feed in bulk only works if you have a very big flock, or split the order with other folks locally. Fresh is best, because the quality of the feed goes down over time. After a few weeks, some vitamins will be lost, and things ca get stale and bug infested. I use metal garbage cans, keep the feed in the original bags, and use it up in a very few weeks. I always check the date on each bag before buying it. Mary

4. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I only store one bag at a time but I use the big plastic drums. The one I have came second hand from a feed store for $20 but I've seen them elsewhere like your Craig's list. This one originally held the iodine they use to wash cow teats before milking. It holds a full bag of feed but there are bigger ones would hold 2.

5. doodledo

doodledo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    These look like the olive containers that they sell around here. I was thinking plastic would make the feed hot in summer months. Guess not?

I understand to have feed as fresh as possible. But when you have to order it and have it shipped one bag at a time isn't worth it.

I seen on Pinterest where someone used an old unworkable freezer.

6. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I use a metal trashcan. I tried plastic but mice made quick work of it in the winter.

7. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I keep mine in a six gallon galvanized steel trash can,it holds 25 pounds of feed that fits into the built in storage area of the coop. The fifteen pounds are left in the 40 pound bag in the house at room temperature with all the air squeezed out and a bag clip to keep it closed, until the can is emptied. Then the bag is emptied into the cleaned can.
    Then I head out to get another bag. FRESH IS BEST. GC

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm in the large flock category [​IMG]. We buy bulk in 1500lb canvas totes. We offload into some plastic trash cans, then bucket the remainder into the empty tote from the previous load. Feed gets stored in the small hay shed near the birds in the trash cans. The tote stays up front under the pole barn on pallets.

My containers aren't rodent proof, but I have a multi-layer system including cats and dogs to control rodents. I also put out bait if/when I have an issue. I've never had a dog or cat, etc poisoned by eating a poisoned rodent. I use the kid/critter proof bait stations.

9. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    those beauty/nail shops will throw out those empty containers of sea salt ? wash and air dry for a few days then they are ready for use.

i got a bunch of these.. they are free :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'll give my 2-cents[​IMG]

I like to use 5gallon buckets with gamma seal lids - you can get food grade buckets and the lids at Home Depot.
    I only buy one bag at a time as well, sooo...one 50lb bag of feed fits perfectly into 2 buckets. I like the convenience of the screw on/off lids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by