what do you keep your chicks in?

I have mine in a plastic dog crate that is set up with the two door ends facing each other, and zip-tied together. Duct taped the crack where they join, and duct taped the vent holes on the top half. Makes a 6' long "run" for them, added a bunch of wood shavings, and some wooden dowels for roosts.
The chickies love it....as they are getting bigger and able to jump out, but not ready to go outside yet, I added a dog exercise pen around the sides to keep them in their little area...

Since its all things I had around the house, I get to spend more money on the coop and run since I dont have to spend anything on the brooder
smile.png

I guess I am the only one to use a glass aquarium then???
I had it left over in the garage from an old pet rat. It 5'x2' by about 2' tall and works great!
I love the ease of cleaning and we have it on an aquarium stand so it sits up high and they love to watch the houshold goings on. It has a wood and wire top my DH built for the rat originally. I clip a light at each end and alternate which is on, 1 in day by food and the other night so they sleep at the opposite end. Works great!
So easy to clean to!
I use fir shavings because we get them for free in bulk and they are fresh and almost completly dust free compared to buying pine shavings from the pet store. and do about a 2-3 inch layer which I clean out with a large dust pan very nicely. Then wipe out with either a damp paper towel or a little rubbing alcohol if its really dirty. Let it dry a few minutes or wipe it dry if in a hurry. Takes probly 5 min or less to clean once chicks are out. Downside only works for smaller numbers. I wouldn't raise more than 10-12 chicks at a time in mine. By the time they start to outgrow it they are already outside during the day in their own run and only sleep in it at night so it being a little small for that many is fine.

Back
Top Bottom