What do you like most about your chickens?

They are like therapy. Watching them for even just a minute or two can bring me out of a bad mood! When they run over to me each morning to see what I have for them. How they fuss at night when they go to roost and when they finally settle in they make a purring noise. I love sunny afternoons with them. Sitting out in the garden to read while my chickies scratch around = heaven on earth
love.gif

They are like therapy. Watching them for even just a minute or two can bring me out of a bad mood! When they run over to me each morning to see what I have for them. How they fuss at night when they go to roost and when they finally settle in they make a purring noise. I love sunny afternoons with them. Sitting out in the garden to read while my chickies scratch around = heaven on earth
love.gif

Thats so cute :) I love to hear their clucks and coo's. For some reason those noises make me want to calm down and sleep, lol. I dont have chickens yet (getting chickies in June) but love to hang out with my Uncle's chickens. I've seen chicken purring videos and laughed, i had no idea they purred!
clap.gif

I love just having them. They do nothing that bothers me.
But I must say, when I pull in the drive each day and they recognize my car and come running to the gate to holler at me, I smile and feel special every time.
I love how my huge brahma, Blanca won't stop complaining at me until I pick her up and hold her.
I love how sassy my barred rock, Pepper is. And brave!!
My little rooster, Nugget, is THE best rooster. I can't believe all the horror stories I see about roosters. He only crows till about 7:30, is very respectful of all humans and will do anything for his girls. Including laying on a nest so they think it's a good spot. Lol

I guess most of all, I love how they always surprise me with their intelligence and personality. I can call them in their own special way, and they know which one I'm talking to by how I call.
Who'dda thought?!

I love all the sounds they make. Right now my 11 chickens live in a coop in my attached garage cuz my husband didn't get the coop built in time before winter came. I love going out there and just sitting with them. They don't like him. They do the stranger danger call whenever he goes out there. It's funny. When they started laying I put a nest box in there coop, and he was standing there, and they all were totally freaking out at him. It was so funny. I can't wait till it gets nice out and the snow melts so he can finish the coop, but I'm gonna miss hearing there songs when I'm in the house. He has no attachment to them what so ever. If there too loud, he will grab his hatchet and yell at them. I just give him a look, and tell him to chill. They are so comical. And there egg song is so nice to hear. I like it.

I love all the sounds they make. Right now my 11 chickens live in a coop in my attached garage cuz my husband didn't get the coop built in time before winter came. I love going out there and just sitting with them. They don't like him. They do the stranger danger call whenever he goes out there. It's funny. When they started laying I put a nest box in there coop, and he was standing there, and they all were totally freaking out at him. It was so funny. I can't wait till it gets nice out and the snow melts so he can finish the coop, but I'm gonna miss hearing there songs when I'm in the house. He has no attachment to them what so ever. If there too loud, he will grab his hatchet and yell at them. I just give him a look, and tell him to chill. They are so comical. And there egg song is so nice to hear. I like it.

Wow, your husband is exactly like my dad, lol. My dad gets mad at me when i dont like his mean behavior towards animals, and he probably wont build the coop in time for June (when we get our chickies), but whatever.
I dont think i have ever heard that lil egg~song. But i have heard of it. Isnt it for the mama hens to kinda sing for their babies that arnt hatched yet, So when they do hatch, they know exactly who mama is?

I love just having them. They do nothing that bothers me.
But I must say, when I pull in the drive each day and they recognize my car and come running to the gate to holler at me, I smile and feel special every time.
I love how my huge brahma, Blanca won't stop complaining at me until I pick her up and hold her.
I love how sassy my barred rock, Pepper is. And brave!!
My little rooster, Nugget, is THE best rooster. I can't believe all the horror stories I see about roosters. He only crows till about 7:30, is very respectful of all humans and will do anything for his girls. Including laying on a nest so they think it's a good spot. Lol

I guess most of all, I love how they always surprise me with their intelligence and personality. I can call them in their own special way, and they know which one I'm talking to by how I call.
Who'dda thought?!

So they are kind of like dogs in a way! (feathery, plump lil chihuahuas) lol how cute
big_smile.png

It's hard to say what I enjoy most. I like chicken TV obviously, so does my dog, she just sits in the window and watches over them out in the yard. I also feel less wasteful with chickens, giving them left overs that normally would have been thrown out gets recycled into eggs by our little backyard pets. One of my hens likes attention and will fly over the fence to roost on my arm for pets which I also enjoy and helps me to unwind after a long day.

What I enjoy the most about them though is experimenting with genetics. I have had a lot of fun with my little hobby breeding projects and selecting for/maintaining certain genes, trying to increase egg production etc.

Last edited:
It's hard to say what I enjoy most. I like chicken TV obviously, so does my dog, she just sits in the window and watches over them out in the yard. I also feel less wasteful with chickens, giving them left overs that normally would have been thrown out gets recycled into eggs by our little backyard pets. One of my hens likes attention and will fly over the fence to roost on my arm for pets.

What I enjoy the most about them though is experimenting with genetics. I have had a lot of fun with my little hobby breeding projects and selecting for/maintaining certain genes, trying to increase egg production etc.

That is so cool! When we get chicks in June, I picked a JG roo, and we will have 9 other mixed breed hens. Maybe one of the best laying hens will cross with the JG, and then have giant birds that lay alot, LOL. Just a thought...

Back
Top Bottom