What do you look for to tell if your chick is a roo?

The feathering (or lack of), the comb and wattles convinced me that I had a roo when mine were about 4 weeks.

Here is my BA roo at 8 weeks.....he still doesn't have all his head feathers
smile.png

IMG_1337-1.jpg

Oh wow, now I'm confused and thinkn my chicks may be roos ansd my roo may be a chick!
hu.gif

Oh dear its so hard to determin.

Last edited:
Quote:
It varies so much between breeds and even individual birds, so look through some of the posts here on BYC (especially the breed and gender section) to find answers. Then post pictures of your chicks if you still have questions. I know you will get help.
smile.png
AND
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks will definetly do so! Hoping for hens but will still love a roo...don't know about neighbors though
fl.gif

We have 3 Buff Orps and 1 silver wyndotte...the only one that is pre bought as a girl. The Buffs are still yet to be determined
jumpy.gif

Mystery Meat I suppose
wink.png

Last edited:
Our Wyandotte developed red wattles and comb before 4 weeks of age. I was sure he was a roo. Posted a picture of him on here at 8 weeks and was told Wyandottes are notoriously difficult, but that he looked roo-ish. Now at 12 weeks I'm starting to think "he" is actually a pullet. But I can't stop calling him a he. Our RIR's were easy to tell. At just a week or so old I guessed that one RIR and one Welsummer were male just based on feathering. Now at 9 weeks it seems I was dead on. The RIR has shiny feathers, pointy ones, and green in his tail. The Welsummer isn't as obvious on his own (to my untrained eye), but next to our over Welsummer I think it's a pretty sure thing. It's definitely easier to tell when you have more than one of the particular breed to compare.

Wow maybe mine ARE all girls! Omg that 8 wk roo is adorable. None of mine have any wattles and no comb ANYWHERE that size. They are flat pretty much. I also read that the SLW have a rose comb variety so thank you to the member who mentioned the early pink comb...theirs were pink by 3-4 wks.
smile.png
I hate that I cant upload pics from my ipad...not that I got good ones lol but I did take a few. I have this mystery chick I definitely have no clue what she is id like some opinions on
smile.png
Maybe I can talk the hubby into a chicken photo shoot tomorrow and try to get a good one of her. Thanks again everyone.

Quote:
lol. i just read your what new chicken owners should know link. i had read about dust bathing so i knew, but my 15 yr old son had no idea what in the heck was wrong with Lucy hahaha then he was laughing at her once i told him it was normal. it does look like they are dying, especially with the dramatic sounds the bottom of a rubbermaid tote makes.

With the variety of breeds we have (marans, cochins, wyandottes, olive eggers)....I agree that one of the best things is having more than one of the same breed....comparing one chick to another also worked for us...and like I said in my lost post....my chicken whisperer wanna be 11 yr old daughter is a great asset as well! LOL Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom