What do you look for when sexing chicks?

16204831776313146075864840953955.jpg
16204832220967713716778558292951.jpg
16204832484711350461956158964425.jpg

I figured, haha. I have a hunch though, as this little guy is in love with me. Bad news usually 😂
Although if his nature stays the same, I wouldn't mind having him stay around as a breeder 🙂
Behavior isn't really a great way of sexing chicks.

Looks to be more of a Blue Wheaten then partridge.

Looks more of a blue Wheaten, rather then partridge.View attachment 2656727
Oh good! This would be the first time I'm raising blue wheaten from chicks. I've bought the adult birds, and they're amongst my favorite color patterns. This is good news!
You'll have to forgive me, as im illiterate in the names of colors, and variations. Its most of the reason I joined BYC. Thank you for taking your time to teach me something new ❤️ I am excited for these to mature, even moreso now. 🙂

In my experience it really depends on the bird. Pea combs can be difficult and some boys seem to be late bloomers. Behavior and comb growth with straight combs have always been the best indicators for me. All chicks will bump chests and such when they’re tiny, but the boys seem to continue this behavior for a longer period of time. From as young as two weeks I’ve seen a difference in combs though in most cases. The boys will always grow larger combs faster and they will turn red earlier than the girls.

Oh good! This would be the first time I'm raising blue wheaten from chicks. I've bought the adult birds, and they're amongst my favorite color patterns. This is good news!
You'll have to forgive me, as im illiterate in the names of colors, and variations. Its most of the reason I joined BYC. Thank you for taking your time to teach me something new ❤️ I am excited for these to mature, even moreso now. 🙂
I'm a fan of Wheaten also, since it's a interesting mutation within the Wildtype gene.

You're welcome, we're all here to learn.

Back
Top Bottom