What do you look for when sexing chicks?

Occasionally partridge will feather out like that, but generally partridge aren't really supposed to have black heads. It's referred to as Moore Head, & is a disqualification if you're showing.
You mean even when young, in the transitional stages, they’re still not supposed to have black heads? Mine aren’t from show lines, and I don’t really care either way, I’m just wondering if I can use the black head for sexing, and if both sexes could have it when young.

This is my male partridge orp from last year at 4 weeks and 6 weeks. His head and neck feathers came in black from the start, and remained black until about 6 months old or so, when they changed to orange.

72895829-0623-43C0-8F1C-E0CE8F899352.jpeg
D068AD21-EB8A-455D-AA5A-E9809AB91DED.jpeg

In my experience it really depends on the bird. Pea combs can be difficult and some boys seem to be late bloomers. Behavior and comb growth with straight combs have always been the best indicators for me. All chicks will bump chests and such when they’re tiny, but the boys seem to continue this behavior for a longer period of time. From as young as two weeks I’ve seen a difference in combs though in most cases. The boys will always grow larger combs faster and they will turn red earlier than the girls.
That is interesting you say that! I've noticed the babies bump chests, like you said, and occasionally run up on eachother and pretend to "spur" eachother. As soon as 1 day out of the egg!
I'm fairly new to raising chicks, but not to keeping chickens. I was worried that this behavior could be a sign that a majority of my new stock is male--- but you've given me hope to wait it out. Logically I suppose, as new hatchlings, those hormones shouldn't be present yet. Surely.
Thank you for educating me!

You mean even when young, in the transitional stages, they’re still not supposed to have black heads? Mine aren’t from show lines, and I don’t really care either way, I’m just wondering if I can use the black head for sexing, and if both sexes could have it when young.

This is my male partridge orp from last year at 4 weeks and 6 weeks. His head and neck feathers came in black from the start, and remained black until about 6 months old or so, when they changed to orange.

View attachment 2656738View attachment 2656737
Interesting. Usually when I see young partridge birds with black on their head area it usually stays.
20201130_111042.jpg
These are pullets.

My welsummer, which are "Red Partridge," but is actually Red Duckwing, feathered out with red, but that's probably because of different genes.

That is interesting you say that! I've noticed the babies bump chests, like you said, and occasionally run up on eachother and pretend to "spur" eachother. As soon as 1 day out of the egg!
I'm fairly new to raising chicks, but not to keeping chickens. I was worried that this behavior could be a sign that a majority of my new stock is male--- but you've given me hope to wait it out. Logically I suppose, as new hatchlings, those hormones shouldn't be present yet. Surely.
Thank you for educating me!
No problem! The girls will definitely spar with the boys. I had a little female that I was sure was a male for a long time because she was feisty and rambunctious, always fighting with the known boys. She had a pea comb and those are difficult for me to judge so I thought roo, but as she aged she had the form of a female, that elizabethan hump in front of their tail, and sure enough, she laid eggs.

Hens will fight with roosters. I added a new roo to my flock and he was working his way up through the ranks. One night the queen was sick of his behavior and ran over and literally planted both feet in his side and knocked him off another hen.

Interesting. Usually when I see young partridge birds with black on their head area it usually stays.
View attachment 2656742These are pullets.

My welsummer, which are "Red Partridge," but is actually Red Duckwing, feathered out with red, but that's probably because of different genes.
My boy had a LOT of black on him when he was young. More of him was black than not black. Here he is at 10 weeks:
5896614F-9E79-493A-9A19-5DE8B68FBC91.jpeg

A lot of the black turned to orange and red as he matured, but only after 6 months or so. Here he is at 7 months:
F1606ED3-99C9-4FA2-89A5-11A0301A4BAD.png

You seem to have a lot of experience... Do you have more pictures of partridge patterned juveniles, both male and female? I’m curious about mine, but also about the pattern in general.

No problem! The girls will definitely spar with the boys. I had a little female that I was sure was a male for a long time because she was feisty and rambunctious, always fighting with the known boys. She had a pea comb and those are difficult for me to judge so I thought roo, but as she aged she had the form of a female, that elizabethan hump in front of their tail, and sure enough, she laid eggs.

Hens will fight with roosters. I added a new roo to my flock and he was working his way up through the ranks. One night the queen was sick of his behavior and ran over and literally planted both feet in his side and knocked him off another hen.
I'm laughing at the way you called your boss hen the "Queen" 😂 👑
The leader of my flock is also referred to as the "Queen" 😂😂
Queen Ladybird in all her glory
IMG_20210417_104900282.jpg

My boy had a LOT of black on him when he was young. More of him was black than not black. Here he is at 10 weeks:
View attachment 2656916

A lot of the black turned to orange and red as he matured, but only after 6 months or so. Here he is at 7 months:
View attachment 2656919

You seem to have a lot of experience... Do you have more pictures of partridge patterned juveniles, both male and female? I’m curious about mine, but also about the pattern in general.
He has an interesting transition.

I have a partridge Silkie, I don't have a lot of partridge birds.

6 months.
Resized_20190828_143444.jpg
1 year.
1115191553.jpg

Back
Top Bottom