What do you mean they're not sqeaky toys ?!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by unionwirewoman, Apr 17, 2009.

1. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    I took a few pics of my dog and new chicks ( my cousin bought them...kept them in the bathtub until her landlord found out....so I gladly accepted them ! ) . He's a 6month old Springador ( what I call a mutt ) . I've been socializing him to the new babies so he knows not to go after any of my flock . He does however like to lick ALL of them ...big or small . Here's some pics...hope you enjoy ! Just wish I had a better camera...maybe for Christmas??[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  2. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Awww we have a dog that "licks" all animals.Gets annoying when she starts cleaning people.... [​IMG]

3. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Ahh that is soo cute! I am afraid to let my dogs near the chicks! I have not had a problem with them around any of my chickens outside, but I am scared they would snap up a chick! Plus my dogs get so excited and act crazy![​IMG]

4. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    You can do it ! Just make sure you dogs are tired and they listen to you ! Be very vigilant , and attentive . I think the more situations you put your dogs through the better ! I will emphasize though , your dogs must see you as the leader and head honcho !! I did catch him today licking one of my poor BO's outside the coop ...she looked like she was going to have a heart attack poor thing !

5. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    What a good dog......

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Wow! Great pics, thanks for sharing!

I just wish my Lab mix were that gracious. He's a proven killer of small creatures, so no chicken buddies for him.

7. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    Quote:Ditto. I don't know about small creatures, but I know my lab/shepard mix used my barred rock as a toss toy one time when he got into the pen. He didn't hurt him, but BR wasn't nice after that. He turned evil rooster!

8. Turtle

Turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Lyles,TN
    My dog thought they were toys and couldnt understand why the one she got a hold of only squeaked once. Thats when I knew she couldnt be around any poulty but she is half husky and from what I have read on here they are known for chasing.

9. chookook

chookook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Burien, WA
    We have a stray greyhound that used to love to scoop up a gril on the run and run and run. She killed three till one day as she was stalking one of the girls, she was so locked in that she didn't see the hot fence and ZAP! Ever since then a hen can walk under her nose and she'll look the other way. Shock Therapy [​IMG]

10. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    That's too sweet!!! Hope my mutt-Lab will be as gentle as yours!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by