What do you place your waterer on?

I hang my waters from chains in the brooder and the coop. The nipples leak and hang up sometimes and it makes a quick mess inside. I use them for my rabbits as their cages let them drip straight through if they hang up. and i use them under the coop for the chickens but not inside. I have them plumbed into a 30 gallon tank so I dont have to fill it up very often but when it hangs it will drain it in a day. I have been quite happy with the 1 gallon waters in the coops and the brooder just suspended from chain. I just screw a chain to rafter and hang the water with a S hook from it. In my brooder I dont have rafter where I need it so I just took chain and ran it between the walls in a grid patter so I can hang the chain wherever i want it then teh S hooks so I can grab it and fill it easily.

This was helpful. I just got my chicks....three weeks old they are making a huge mess. I have already changed out the waterer twice. They somehow managed to knock the waterer over so 1/2 the bedding is wet. Do I have to change the bedding today, or can it wait until tomorrow?

Runner,
I find that if you leave wet bedding it starts to stink (and it isn't good for the chicks). I have had to change the litter EVERY DAY for the past few days. I have now raised the waterer on a tupperware cupcake holder - now it is level which will hopefully eliminate the water spillage and poop/pine chips inside of it.... I have left it there for the past few hours and am cautiously optimistic!

My chicks should begin hatching on the 19th and I have been reading everyones chat about chicks- the waterer was always an issue when I was young and my da raised chooks- in prepping my brooder, I bought one of those terra cotta dishes for potted plans and turned it upside down- my thinking is that it will give a wide area to keep any spilled water from soaking the chips plus it has ridges where it was thrown to give the little fuzzy butts some traction on it while they drink.

I have a great solution. I had this trouble as well. I placed my feeder and my waterer on frisbees with the concave side UP. Right side up, the way it would fly through the air. If you have a frisbee with some grip lines on it it will not be slick and the then the chicks have to walk slightly uphill to get to the feeder. This means that wood chips on their feet or within about an inch of the feeder/waterer tend to slide away from the feeder. Also keeps them from scratching right next to the feeder throwing chips into the openings.

It has not completely eliminated the problem, but has greatly reduced it.

Back
Top Bottom