1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you put over the pop hole?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nccountrygirl, Oct 30, 2007.

1. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    It is getting cooler here, last night was 34. I don't shut the hen door because of our work schedule, we are not home when it gets dark. I have read where people will use old dish rags and such to cover the opening to block the wind and keep the coop warmer, what are y'all's suggestions? Thanks Laura

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have the auto door opener and love it. Best money I've ever spent. I've read were some hang rubber strips across to block out the wind.

3. chad

chad Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2007
    Pittston, Maine
    I cut rappets (like grooves) in 2 pieces of 1" x 1" stock, and screwed them to either side of the popout so they form channels. I then cut a piece of 1/4" plywood so that it would fit in and slide down those channels, covering the popout. I also glue a little stick of wood like a button on it so I can lift the plywood "hatch" out of the channels and open thepopout again.

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I'd like to put a doggie door in mine, but I'm afraid some of the hens wouldn't be able to figure it out. I might try some of that heavy canvas or the thick clear plastic strips that you see in large freezers.

Edit...wanted to add I also keep the door to the run open all the time and I think it was a bit too chilly last year.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2007
  5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Quote:Chad that is what we have too, but I'm not at home at night to close it hence the problem.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by