What do you suggest for dustbathing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blue fire, May 3, 2007.

1. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I was wondering what you guys use for dust bathing for your chicks, where you could get it, and if there was dust you could get at a tractor supply store.

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

A couple people here have mentioned sand. I've found that if I turn up dirt with a shovel or dump dirt from somewhere else, the chickens run right over and have a ball in it!

3. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    In my coop I use a wooden wine box half filled with play sand. The girls love it. In the summer they like to make their own dust bath area under the lilac bush and dust with the dirt and soil under there.

4. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Our chickens like our garden but that is off limits now, also we have a pine tree with a lot of sand near by they enjoy, but they will find just about anywhere to dustbathe, they found a spot along the fence line and have dug a hole that they all share, you just never know where or what will attract them.

5. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Last edited: May 4, 2007
  6. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    While I was in China I would see chickens dust bathing in old and new fire pits.

7. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    My chickens dust bath the good ol' fashioned way. they especially love the dirt next to the house foundation, and have loosened up all the dirt, and made a few holes. They like that spot, cause it gets the most sunshine during the day! they are quite content. If I was to make something, they wouldnt use it. here are some pics of them doing what they do best.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  8. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    A chicken will take a dust bath anyplace there is some dirt. They will dig around to loosen up the hardest clay on my property if that is the spot they want. Others like to go down by the pond where there is some sand. The next day the ones in the clay will be by the pond and those from the pond area will be in the clay. Buying them special sand is paying for something they don't need, get them some grass clippings from the kid mowing a lawn. Give the kid the money you would've paid for the sand. This will make both the chickens and the kid happy. Feed range them and let chickens be chickens, they will make themselves happy.

9. merryreader

merryreader Chillin' With My Peeps

I buy play sand at home depot.$3.50 abag(50 lbs) They love it!! Merry

10. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    I also use food grade DE, play sand, and garden soil. The girls add pine shavings as they see fit. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by