What do you think about this looks of this cross??? Tons of pics!

vkp23

Songster
10 Years
Jul 10, 2009
My house
These teens are a cross between my Dark Cornish hen and Withe Rock roo. I think they are really pretty. What do you think?
36471_chick_023.jpg

36471_zzzzz_001.jpg

36471_zzzzz_012.jpg

36471_zzzzz_013.jpg

Last edited:
WOW, I would have no expected those colors! They look meaty and very pretty! how old are they?(some look older then others)

That is crazy- they almost look like male sex-links- except for the big one on the left in the middle pic. Is that one a girl?
Is it possible that you have a sex-link cross that makes barred boys and pencilled girls? What did they look like as chicks?

They are all dif ages. One was born thanksgiving, one was from my Christmas hatch and the other three were from new years. I'm thinking judging from the tail feathers that I either have 2 girls and 3 boy's, OR 4 girls and 1 boy. The tails are a little iffy looking. I really don't know how they came out looking like that. It's like if you take a Cornish and replace the brown with white and then the black parts are a gray/blue color. Some as you can see have more white than the others. A couple have the tiniest hint of brown lacing on their backs that you can't really see in the pics. I have two other baby's I was thinking came from my BO and the White Rock roo, but as thier feathers are coming in, they have a bunch of black and brown splashing but are mostly white. I don't see a BO producing any black in the chicks when the daddy is white. But I guess it could be possible that "Big Daddy" my white Rock was mixed with a little something. I don't know how possible that is though. I got the parents from McMurray. Thanks for the compliments though!

Here is a baby pic:
36471_picture_126.jpg

Last edited:
Here are pic's of the parent stock and also the brown in one of the babies. Also, I have added a couple pic;s of the one I was talking about that's mostly white with brown and black splashing.

Mama AKA. "Sweetie"
36471_zzzzz_014.jpg

Dad AK. "Big Daddy"
36471_picture_103.jpg

Brown lacing:
36471_zzzzz_017.jpg

The weird one:(Don't mind the EE baby)
36471_zzzzz_016.jpg

36471_zzzzz_015.jpg

This is interesting. The reason you are getting Barred chicks is because your White Rock roo is masking barring under his recessive white. It's common for recessive white breeds to be masking black or barring under the white. So when you breed this roo, it should be about the same as breeding a heterozygous barred, Barred Rock rooster which when bred to a non barred hen, should give about half and half barred and nonbarred in both sexes.
If the white one is the one your saying came from the Buff hens, I'm guessing you may have picked up columbain genes from the Buffs so I would exect that white to end up looking something like a delaware.

Hope this helps explain what you have going on and thanks for posting the pics.

Quote:
Well that explains a lot about the genetics behind the breeds. My White Rock roo does have one small dark brownish black spot on his wing. I think you can see it in that pic of him. It's really cool but at any rate they still make for pretty babies. I can't wait to see what the babies look like where he mated with my Turken girls, and my Black Jersey Giant girls. I actually have 14 eggs I'm putting in the bator tonight. One I know for sure is from him and a Turken. We had just separated the Turken hens with the Turken roo yesterday, because "Big Daddy" wouldn't let the T roo mate so I know this egg we got today from the Turken girls SHOULD at least 90% be from "Big Daddy". I plan on building a separate yard for the Turkens, and I'm going to add my EE girls to that flock. So I'll have pure Turken and Turken/EE crosses. Still one thing I noticed with the mostly white one is that his/her fathering looks almost frizzly. As far as I know none of the parents should have frizzle in them. Is it possible for them to be semi-frizzled still?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom