What do you think an Asil cross with Golden Comet would look like?

So I normally just raise Asils as far as chickens go. This spring I had purchased some Golden Comets to amp up my egg production. Just because I know that it’s bound to happen, I am curious as to what that would look like? I’m reaching out to see if anyone has an image of one of these crosses or is more intelligent as far as which genetics are more dominant. Thanks!

The first two pics are of my Asil hens and roosters.

Attachments

• AB12EE57-B3F6-4A71-AB29-FF1C313A396F.jpeg
    AB12EE57-B3F6-4A71-AB29-FF1C313A396F.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 83
  • EE8C7EDC-C082-406F-9D6B-A98AE9605BE6.jpeg
    EE8C7EDC-C082-406F-9D6B-A98AE9605BE6.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 52
The Golden Comets are brown with some white feathers, and they have single combs, right? (That's what I'm basing my predictions on.)

You'll get combs somewhat like the Asils have (not single comb like the Golden Comets.) The combs might be larger than the ones on the Asils, though.

For color, I think both genders will mostly look like Golden Comet hens or like the Asil hen in your photo (about half each way--the main difference is whether there are some white feathers or some black feathers in with the brown/red/gold parts.)

Not sure how it will turn out as Golden Comets are hybrids and won't breed true. The parent breeds are White Rock hens and New Hampshire rooster, so those genetics will come into play on the chicks.

Not sure how it will turn out as Golden Comets are hybrids and won't breed true. The parent breeds are White Rock hens and New Hampshire rooster, so those genetics will come into play on the chicks.

Parent breeds--depends on what source you consult.
I've seen Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire, and "Cherry Egger" listed as the father.
Most place I've looked say Rhode Island White for the mother, although plenty of other white breeds are also possible.
Any of the various crosses is working with the same few genes to get the sex-linking, though.

If you use the Golden Comet only as the mother, you will still get mostly-brown offspring in both genders, no matter which of the various parent combinations produce the Comets.

Parent breeds--depends on what source you consult.
I've seen Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire, and "Cherry Egger" listed as the father.
Most place I've looked say Rhode Island White for the mother, although plenty of other white breeds are also possible.
Any of the various crosses is working with the same few genes to get the sex-linking, though.

If you use the Golden Comet only as the mother, you will still get mostly-brown offspring in both genders, no matter which of the various parent combinations produce the Comets.

Haha, it is kind of hard to dig through all these proprietary breeds. Golden comet, Cinnamon Queens, ISA...Cherry Egger is a new one to me!

I'm sure the Aseel x GC will be pretty regardless of parentage :)

Haha, it is kind of hard to dig through all these proprietary breeds. Golden comet, Cinnamon Queens, ISA...Cherry Egger is a new one to me!

Proprietary names certainly add plenty of confusion!

Cherry Egger is basically a Rhode Island Red:
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/cherry-eggers.html

Then that hatchery crosses the Cherry Egger with a Rhode Island White to get Golden Comets:
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/golden-comet.html

I'm sure the Aseel x GC will be pretty regardless of parentage :)

I agree :)

Try those Aseels with Cornish or Wyandotte or Orpington or Barnevelder or large Plymouth rock.

Aseels are better for crossbreeding with dual-purpose meat breeds if you want hybrids.

I don’t really see the point in breeding Aseels to an egg-laying breed.

The Aseel lineage will increase breast meat, decrease egg production, and increase broodiness.

I would recommend that in a meat bird line but not an egg layer line.

In the egg layer line I wouldn’t include Aseels but would do Mediterranean breeds and Easter Eggers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom