What do you think happened to my pullet?

Pampered chicken girl

🎶My angels and demons at war with myself🎶
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
Well a month or two ago one of my pullets passed away. I don't know what happened but I thought I would share the symptoms so you may provide a diagnosis.
I watch them all go to bed the night before and said my goodnights and left to go home. The next morning we came to take care of them and I seen her lying outside the raised coop right below the door, she looked content, not in pain or struggling but she had no mobility of her legs. I moved her to a dog crate in the other coop and tried to make her stand, she couldn't, she could move her head and neck but was just like laying down. She wouldn't eat or drink or move and there was nothing I could do. She would fall asleep but wake up when I said her name. The next morning she was already gone. Poor thing I hope she didn't suffer 😔. It was very sudden with the symptoms and death.
Help appreciated 🙏 thanks

So quickly though, I thought mareks starved to death
Many times the first symptom is leg paralysis. I'll look on some threads, but it seems like Ive read that some birds go really fast after this symptom. Because chickens are so good at hiding symptoms, she may not have been eating well and you didnt notice. Tbh I dont think I would really notice if one of my birds quit eating until they became lethargic and weak. This being said, leg paralysis is often the first big symptom and is later in the disease. The only way to be sure is to get a necropsy.

Many times the first symptom is leg paralysis. I'll look on some threads, but it seems like Ive read that some birds go really fast after this symptom. Because chickens are so good at hiding symptoms, she may not have been eating well and you didnt notice. Tbh I dont think I would really notice if one of my birds quit eating until they became lethargic and weak. This being said, leg paralysis is often the first big symptom and is later in the disease. The only way to be sure is to get a necropsy.
Ok she was buried right after she died over a month ago so no necropsy. I think I saw her eat the day before, I spent alot of time in the coop I only have 11 birds in there

Wierd. I would still hold it as a possibility, but I would research other stuff.
Ok thanks, she was about 10-11 weeks if that helps. I researched when it happened but everything said Marek’s but no other chickens have it. I had another die 2 weeks later too though, but she was like pulling her head up and gasping and the next morning was already gone. She could walk but wouldn't eat or drink

Back
Top Bottom