What do you think happened?

Bobbi4

Songster
Mar 4, 2019
I have , 6, 2 year old laying hens and one rooster. I clean their coop everyday. they have been very healthy AND ACTIVE. tHEY FREE RANGE DURING THE DAY AND UP AT NIGHT. i WENT INTO THE COOP TO CLEAN AND ONE OF MY HENS WAS IN A LAYING BOX. i ALWAYS PET THEM AND SAY HELLO. I went to pet her and she was dead. no signs or symptoms of any sickness. Do you think she was egg bound ? I assume that can kill them. My other chickens are fine and healthy. the hens have dirty bottoms sometimes I wash them off but other than that i have had no problems. Just want to know what might have happened and how i might could have prevented it! thanks for your feed back!

Sorry for hour loss. Did you look over her whole body for any wounds, a prolapse, maggots, an enlarged crop, or other signs? It is common for a sick hen to go into a nest box to rest away from others. But she may have been egg bound. Most state vets will perform a necropsy if you keep the body refrigerated and take it in. What state are you in? Have you ever done a home necropsy just to look at the abdominal organs? Was she laying or molting? Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Sorry for hour loss. Did you look over her whole body for any wounds, a prolapse, maggots, an enlarged crop, or other signs? It is common for a sick hen to go into a nest box to rest away from others. But she may have been egg bound. Most state vets will perform a necropsy if you keep the body refrigerated and take it in. What state are you in? Have you ever done a home necropsy just to look at the abdominal organs? Was she laying or molting? Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
We looked her over and she looked completely normal! But I don’t really know what to look for! I have had these chickens two years from hatching and not a single problem! So as far as experience with anything other than normal everyday healthy birds , I am still a newbie! I have been super lucky with my birds! And I have hatched a bunch and given them to friends or sold them!
She was laying not molting! I did notice one was lagging behind when I call them in Butt they all do that sometimes! I have no idea! Thank you for your help

Back
Top Bottom