What do you think is happening?????

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
This morning some of the eggs were rocking. Two or three pipped and one zipped about 1/4 of the way after 3:00 nothing. I having seen any rocking or anything since 3:00. Do you think they died???? What happened???? Is this common????? Please help!!!!!!!!!

Michelle

This is my first hatch. What is the humidity suppose to be. The humidity has been at 58% most of the day. I just added a little water, it is at about 65 now.
sad.png

Quote:

Please help!!!!!!!!!!! What do you think????? Was the humidity bad??? Some were rocking before that have also stopped that haven't pipped though.

tough to tell. I have seen chicks hatch a day after they pipped. sometimes i think they just take a rest for a while. Humidity can be really tricky. you have to calibrate your hygrometer. they sometimes will lie. too high of a humidity can be worse than too low sometimes. And as a rule you shouldn't open the bator from day 18 on. too drastic of a change in temp or humidity during the actual hatch can be real bad.

GOOD LUCK, keep us posted

Thanks, since this is my first hatch I have been really careful. I haven't opened the bator at all for fear of shrink wrapping. Have you ever had chicks stop for about 5 hours then start up again??? One pipped at the wrong end, I don't hold out much hope for that one. I will keep you updated.

Quote:

65% sounds better to me than 58%, but everyone has different opinions on this. unfortunately, hatching is one of those things where every situation is different (your household air humidity effects what's in the bator, your thermometer may be slightly off, your hens may not pass good genes, etc) and the only way to really learn is to just try. give them another 24-48 hours, it IS normal for chicks to take that long. if everything goes well, then great! don't change a thing. if a lot of them fail, then, take good notes and try to learn from the experience. something very very helpful is to do an "eggtopsy" on the failed eggs, and compare your findings with known incubation problems... sometimes you can diagnose what went wrong, and tweak your settings for next time.

whatever happens, don't blame yourself - even broody hens rarely hatch 100%.

Back
Top Bottom