What do you think is happening?????

they very well may be just resting
smile.png
don't give up hope! wait that 48 hours and see.

if needed, here is a very thorough list of common hatching problems and causes:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa204

you look for things like shrink wrapped chicks, whether or not they pipped through the air cell, how far along they got, if they were correctly positioned, etc etc etc. read through the list of problems, it'll give you ideas of what to look for. i've found that most problems have different causes listed, but usually there's more than one "symptom" you can glean from the eggtopsy, and then you can usually figure out what happened by looking for the common denominator in the causes.

Quote:

I have had them sit still for probably more like 12 hours then try again. Those ones do have a hard time since the membrane has had soo much air. Sometimes I monkey around with lights to egg them on. I usually put my incubator in a closet to keep the kids and dog away from it. seems like if I turn the light on for a while they'll get active then stop. Then turn it off and they get active again for a few and stop, sometimes. I dont know if it really works or not, but makes me feel like I'm doing something.

It took me about 5 or 6 hatching's to get 75%+. I now hatch around 300 to 500 eggs a year depending on the demand.
A lot depends on what your using. If you want to sell chicks get you a really good one. Most any model in the $600 t0 $700 dollar range will be good . I made my money back the first season Just read all you can and experiment. Some people do get high rates but they have been doing it for awhile.
Didn't comment on the posts above, all good info

Last edited:
OKay, I am updating for those who were following this. I think I let the humidity get a little to low. last night I added a little water and the humidity went up to 65%. After a couple hours after I did that I had chicks start popping out like popcorn. We now have six chicks and I can see two more with there beaks poking out of the eggs chirping. I think there will probably be a few more two. Anyway thanks so much for the help, I was just getting a little bit nervous. Oh yea, the one that pipped the wrong end I believe is one of the ones with its beak out chirping.
big_smile.png
I thought that one died yesterday for sure but, things are looking better this morning.

Thanks again,
MIchelle

thumbsup.gif

glad to hear! they can certainly be nerve-wracking. btw, i get an upsidedown-pipped chick every so often too, and i'd say they actually manage to hatch that way about 50% of the time, so there's still hope for that guy too. i would still recommend an eggtopsy on the ones that don't make it, just for the learning experience, but give them another 24 hours.

Oh, good! So your humidity might have been a little bit on the low side, but perhaps your chicks were just resting for a bit and would have done so even if you'd had your humidity higher the whole time. If you end up having a successful hatch (sounds like you're most of the way there already!) then don't change too much for the next hatch. Maybe try to keep your humidity up at about 65% during lockdown, but apart from that it sounds like you're doing great!

Back
Top Bottom